Can't Avoid Invoking Preferred Frame: A Look at Free Falling Into a Black Hole

• B
  • Thread starter Grinkle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary: The rocket would still agree about the invariant facts, even though it can't observe the traveler crossing the EH.In summary, SR is conceptually simpler than GR, and inertial reference frames are not global. Coordinate systems can't always assign coordinates to all events, and the physics of an event far from an observer can still be described using the time on a clock near the observer.
Grinkle
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have come to realize that all of my pondering of GR has led me to consistently invoke a preferred frame when I consider an event horizon. Is that a barrier to my understanding GR at a lay person level?
Take this video as an example. Its an attempt to humanize the hypothetical experience of free falling into a black hole.When I consider this video, the proper time of the traveler in crossing the EH is intuitively preferred for me, and the proper time of an observer on the spaceship as they wait to see the traveler cross the EH is illusory. My instinct tells me that in fact, there is a preferred frame where the traveler is dead in one hour (more or less) of proper ship time even though an observer on the ship can do no experiment to confirm this, and all GR is telling me is that there is no experiment that can be done by a ship-bound observer to confirm the fact of the travellers demise by spagettification.

Is this a question of interpretation and not a question of GR per se? I think I am mentally de-coupling time from space-time somehow in this thinking, but I can't get past it. I would like a perspective where both observers are correct but I am struggling to get there. I think the traveller is correct and the ship-bound observer is just unable to observe what has happened.

In SR, as far as I know at least, I don't have the same problems - I can get to the point where my intuition agrees that two observers moving relative to each other each see the others clock moving slower and both are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well let’s look at things that don’t depend on which observer you “like”. Invariant things.

The infaller takes a short finite proper time to cross the horizon and reach the singularity. The infaller can continue to receive signals from the rocket at and beyond horizon crossing until they reach the singularity. No signal sent by the infaller will ever reach the rocket if it was sent at or after horizon crossing. The infaller’s (causal) past is infinite in extent (in an idealized model) and uncensored (assuming there is only one BH). However, the infaller’s future is highly circumscribed, and includes none of the exterior and less and less of the interior as it proceeds to “death”.

These are all invariant facts (per GR), and the rocket would not disagree on any of them, even though it can’t observe some of these facts.

The causal evolution of the rocket is that its future is uncensored, and always includes events inside the horizon up to the singularity. Its acausal region (neither future nor past, possibly “now”) comes to include the events on the horizon and whole interior at a particular moments of the rocket’s history, in the case of a BH formed from collapse. At this point, it is sensible for the rocket to consider that the horizon currently exists. However the rocket’s past is censored to never include the horizon or interior. Note that for a given moment of the rocket’s history, the future events on the horizon are different from the possibly “now” events on the horizon.

There is no need to look at any of this as features of a “frame”. All these facts are simply true features of the universe, per GR. This is really no different from the obvious expectation that someone in a distant galaxy sees a different collection of galaxies than we do.

Last edited:
Likes Orodruin, Grinkle and vanhees71
Grinkle said:
My instinct tells me that in fact, there is a preferred frame where the traveler is dead in one hour (more or less) of proper ship time
As @PAllen says, this isn't a "preferred frame", it's an invariant fact. Just as if a ship on Earth that's over your horizon collides with something, that collision is an invariant fact even though you personally can't see it.

Likes Grinkle and vanhees71
Grinkle said:
In SR, as far as I know at least, I don't have the same problems - I can get to the point where my intuition agrees that two observers moving relative to each other each see the others clock moving slower and both are correct.
SR is conceptually simpler because all inertial reference frames can assign coordinates to all events in spacetime. In other words, IRFs are global.

It is a conceptual hurdle in GR that inertial reference frames are not global and that, generally, coordinate systems cannot assign coordinates to all events. In this case, you'd like to think that the events of the object crossing the EH and reaching the singularity can be described using the time on a clock far from the black hole. They can't.

Many treatments of SR (especially popular ones) over-emphasise the role of an "observer"; and, especially the role of light signals from an event reaching that observer. Even in SR, it's important to dissociate the physics from what an individual observers "sees".

In this case, the physicist a long way from the black hole is not constrained to study the problem in only one coordinate system - nor are they obliged to consider only events from which light signals will eventually reach them. They may develop a complete understanding of all the spacetime events in this case, including the events that cannot be mapped to a time on their local clock.

That there are such events may be conceptually unnerving, but understanding that is part of the process of understanding GR and more complicated spacetimes.

Likes Grinkle and vanhees71
Thanks for the responses / help. I am thinking that my discomfort is probably around not having considered or really comprehended the below.

PeroK said:
in GR that inertial reference frames are not global and that, generally, coordinate systems cannot assign coordinates to all events.

All the comments are quite helpful for me, and I am once again feeling very privileged to have access to this community.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
PeroK said:
In this case, the physicist a long way from the black hole is not constrained to study the problem in only one coordinate system - nor are they obliged to consider only events from which light signals will eventually reach them. They may develop a complete understanding of all the spacetime events in this case, including the events that cannot be mapped to a time on their local clock.
While this must be expected in the general case in GR, for a Schwarzschild BH there are many ways to associate horizon and interior events to distant clock times. For example, simply choose some distant observer, use a foliation like Kruskal or Lemaitre, and then assign times to the slices using the distant observer’s clock.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
PAllen said:
While this must be expected in the general case in GR, for a Schwarzschild BH there are many ways to associate horizon and interior events to distant clock times. For example, simply choose some distant observer, use a foliation like Kruskal or Lemaitre, and then assign times to the slices using the distant observer’s clock.
I’ll add that this does not really work for a Kerr BH, if you try to include the region with CTC. You would have a purported simultaneity surface with the feature that it contains distinct events, e1 and e2, such that e2 is in the causal future of e1. I believe there are no spacelike, achronal surfaces possible in the Kerr spacetime that include much of the interior as well as the exterior.

1. What is the concept of "preferred frame" in relation to free falling into a black hole?

The concept of "preferred frame" refers to the idea that in a gravitational field, there may be a specific frame of reference in which the laws of physics appear simplest. In the case of free falling into a black hole, this preferred frame is known as the "locally inertial frame".

2. Why is it impossible to avoid invoking the preferred frame when studying free falling into a black hole?

It is impossible to avoid invoking the preferred frame because the laws of physics, particularly the laws of gravity, are dependent on the frame of reference in which they are observed. Therefore, in order to accurately study the effects of gravity on an object falling into a black hole, the preferred frame must be taken into consideration.

3. How does the concept of "free falling" play a role in this study?

The concept of free falling is essential in understanding the effects of gravity on an object falling into a black hole. Free falling refers to the state in which an object is only affected by the force of gravity and is not subject to any other external forces. This is the state in which an object would fall into a black hole, and studying this process helps us understand the behavior of gravity in extreme conditions.

4. What are some potential implications of this study?

Studying the effects of gravity on objects falling into a black hole can have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It can also provide insights into the behavior of matter in extreme conditions and contribute to the development of new theories and technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to this study?

As with any scientific study, there are limitations to our understanding of free falling into a black hole. One limitation is that our current understanding of gravity, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, may not fully account for all aspects of this phenomenon. Additionally, the extreme conditions near a black hole make it difficult to gather direct observations and measurements, leading to some uncertainties in our understanding.