Can't copy and paste thumbnails to Microsoft documents

• Thread starter Albertgauss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent issue where the user is unable to copy and paste images from Physics Forums into Microsoft Word or PowerPoint. They mention a tedious workaround and also mention that they are using a computer with Microsoft Windows 8.1. The conversation also mentions two separate threads discussing special and general relativity. The issue is resolved when someone suggests right-clicking and selecting "copy" to copy the image.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

Here is a recent issue I came across. In the posts below, I cannot Control-A (select all), Control-C (copy) and then Control-V (paste) into a Microsoft word or powerpoint document. The images in question are the spacetime diagram thumbnails relevant to each post.

The tedious way to do this is to "save picture as", of which you can only choose png or bitmap, re-open the image in pain, save it as JPEG or GIF and from there transport the image to Microsoft office programs. When time permits, best add that images can also be saved as JPEG or GIF.

The computer I am using runs on Microsoft Windows 8.1

Spec-rel, two ships accelerate away from each other
Discussion in 'Special & General Relativity' started by Albertgauss, Monday at 4:56 PM
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=771051&goto=newpost

Lorentz, simultan, radar finds dust grain, inconsistencies
Discussion in 'Special & General Relativity' started by Albertgauss, Apr 18, 2013.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686348&goto=newpost

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I guess that's it. I'm a creature of habit. Yes, right-click, select "copy" does the job. Sorry I didn't try that first.

1. Why am I unable to copy and paste thumbnails to Microsoft documents?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possible reason is that the thumbnail is not compatible with the Microsoft document format. Another reason could be a glitch in the software or an outdated version of Microsoft Office. It is also possible that the thumbnail file is corrupted or the copy and paste function is not working correctly.

2. Can I copy and paste thumbnails to Microsoft documents using a different method?

Yes, you can try using the "Insert" function in Microsoft Office to add the thumbnail to the document. You can also try saving the thumbnail as an image file and then inserting it into the document. Additionally, you can try using a third-party software or online tool to convert the thumbnail into a compatible format for Microsoft documents.

3. Is there a specific size limitation for thumbnails when copying and pasting into Microsoft documents?

Yes, there is a size limitation for images when copying and pasting into Microsoft documents. If the thumbnail is too large, it may not be able to fit into the document or may significantly increase the document's file size. It is recommended to resize the thumbnail to a suitable size before attempting to copy and paste it into the document.

4. How can I troubleshoot the issue of not being able to copy and paste thumbnails to Microsoft documents?

If you are facing this issue, you can try a few troubleshooting methods. First, make sure that the copy and paste function is working correctly by trying it with other files. You can also check if there are any updates available for Microsoft Office. If the issue persists, try restarting your computer or repairing the Microsoft Office installation. If none of these methods work, you may need to seek technical support.

5. Are there any alternative methods for adding thumbnails to Microsoft documents?

Yes, there are alternative methods for adding thumbnails to Microsoft documents. As mentioned before, you can use the "Insert" function, save the thumbnail as an image file, or convert it into a compatible format. Additionally, you can also try using the "Screenshot" function in Microsoft Office to capture the thumbnail and insert it into the document. Another option is to use a hyperlink to the thumbnail if it is available online.