Can't find my Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding the database engine after reinstalling their SQL Server. They are seeking advice on how to resolve this issue, including trying to use the tcpip address or searching online for solutions. They are also instructed to check the SQL Server configuration manager and make sure the SQL server browser service is running and the TCP/IP network protocol is enabled. If all else fails, they are advised to check the Windows eventlog for any errors and restart services if necessary.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I had to reinstall my SQL Server and I a having trouble finding the database engine which is the local host. Please see screenshots. Any ideas? Thanks.

upload_2018-2-16_17-28-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-16_17-28-10.png
    upload_2018-2-16_17-28-10.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 959
Technology news on Phys.org
Did you try using the actual tcpip address of your host or the 127.0.0.1 to test that it works ?

Did you try searching on google to see if others had the same problem? It may well be a product issue.

Review your install confit stuff to see you have to place anything in the Microsoft Windows registry ?

Likes WWGD
Can you start SQL server configuration manager? You probably need the check if the sql server browser service running. The TCP/IP network protocol should be enabled. Look if what the name of the instance of SQL server is, and don't browse, but connect to COMPUTERNAME\INSTANCENAME. Look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sq...-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine See the steps under "testing a local connection"
If that doesn't work look in the windows eventlog if there were any errors during startup of sql server (restart services with configuration manager if necessary).

Likes WWGD
Thanks all, I just uninstalled and I am re installing at the moment.

1. How do I know if my Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server is installed?

To check if your Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server is installed, you can open the SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the server. If you are able to connect, then the Database Engine is installed on your machine.

2. Why can't I find my Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server?

There could be a few reasons why you can't find your Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server. It could be that it is not installed on your machine, or it is installed but not configured properly. It is also possible that the service for the Database Engine is not running.

3. How do I install the Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server?

To install the Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server, you will need to download and run the SQL Server installation file. During the installation process, make sure to select the option to install the Database Engine. Once the installation is complete, you can open the SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the server.

4. Can I use a different Database Engine instead of Localhost for SQL Server?

Yes, you can use a different Database Engine instead of Localhost for SQL Server. However, it is important to note that the Database Engine must be supported by SQL Server and properly configured. It is also recommended to use the same Database Engine for all instances of SQL Server in your environment to avoid compatibility issues.

5. How do I configure my Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server?

To configure your Localhost Database Engine for SQL Server, you can use the SQL Server Configuration Manager. This tool allows you to manage and configure SQL Server services, protocols, and network settings. You can also configure the Database Engine during the installation process.