Can't find the right solution.

• Thread starter governergrimm
  • Start date
In summary, a 0.4 kg mass compresses a spring of constant 19 N/cm by 8 cm and then slides over a frictional surface of length 1.9 m with a coefficient of friction of 0.14. It then compresses a second spring of constant 4 N/cm on a frictionless surface. Using the conservation of energy and work energy principle, the second spring must be compressed to a distance of approximately 3.18 cm in order for the mass to come to rest.
governergrimm

Homework Statement

A spring of constant 19 N/cm is compressed a distance 8 cm by a 0.4 kg mass and then released on a frictionless surface. After it leaves the spring it skids over a frictional surface of length 1.9 m with coefficient of friction 0.14. Then, again on a frictionless surface, it compresses a second spring of constant 4 N/cm. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s 2 . How far must the second spring be compressed when the mass comes to rest? Answer in units of cm.

K1=19 N/m
x1=.08 m
m=.4 kg
Frictional surface = 1.9 m
μ=.14
K2=4 N/m
g=9.8

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy
work energy principle
76e1d10875eb4d0101669bcbef8c78f6.png

11e6fc84bb2641d36b09c5a6359f7c08.png

da0c6f351dc21c0fec6559f06d696174.png

N=mg
Ff=μmg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP7167205289f8b7i74844000040h081bhh0e34g0i?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=36&w=134.&h=35.
solve for W
W=Fs-Ff
W=K1x1-μmg

x=sqrt((K1x^2+2W)/K2)

I end up with

http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP17542240fg7bd54i8f4500000cff0b06i93i7dc9?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=19&w=191.&h=47.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the consistency of your units.

Related to Can't find the right solution.

1. Why is it important to find the right solution?

Finding the right solution is important because it can help solve problems efficiently and effectively. It can also lead to better outcomes and results, saving time and resources.

2. What are some reasons for not being able to find the right solution?

There are several reasons why one may struggle to find the right solution. These can include lack of information, limited resources, biased thinking, or simply not considering all possible options.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills to find the right solution?

You can improve your problem-solving skills by practicing critical thinking, considering multiple perspectives, and being open to new ideas. It is also helpful to seek feedback from others and continuously learn and adapt.

4. What should I do if I have tried multiple solutions but still can't find the right one?

If you have exhausted all possible solutions and still can't find the right one, it may be helpful to step back and reassess the problem. This could involve gathering more information or seeking input from others. It is also important to remain patient and persistent.

5. How can I avoid getting stuck when trying to find the right solution?

To avoid getting stuck, it is important to approach problem-solving with a flexible and open mindset. This means being willing to consider alternative solutions and being open to feedback and new information. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.