Can't handle finding currents on the diodes

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about whether to use the constant voltage drop model or iteration model for finding diode currents. The results obtained from iteration are not consistent, leading to the question of which approach is more convenient. The conversation also mentions that the zener diode will have no current due to not satisfying 3V and that the two forward-biased diodes will have a constant 0.6V drop. It is suggested to use the diode equation for more accuracy, but the temperature of the diode would also need to be known.
Kizteku

Hello All,

1. Homework Statement

I am confused about applying constant voltage drop model or iteration model . While trying to find the diode currents, results obtained from iteration is not consistent ( I_d1 and I_1k is not equal) so the diode currents .
ALsoIs this convenient to use constant voltage drop because of connecting 0.8v input

Homework Equations

V_d= V_t ln(I_d/I_s)

The Attempt at a Solution

There will be no current on the zener diode since 3v is not satisfied.
The diode is forward biased since 0.8 volt is connected to anode of the diode.
Current on the zener diode is 0.( I_d3 = I_z = 0 )

Hope someone can help
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20181201_133921.jpg
    20181201_133921.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.
Kizteku said:
There will be no current on the zener diode since 3v is not satisfied.
Correct. There will be a very small reverse leakage current through the Zener diode, but you can probably ignore it in this case.

If you assume the 0.6V constant forward voltage drop across each of the two forward-biased diodes, you can calculate the current through them by using the leftover voltage drop across each of the series resistors. Can you say what each of those two diode currents would be if there was a constant 0.6V drop across those two diodes?

And if you want to get even more accuracy, you can use the diode equation and the given Is values, but you would also need the diode temperature to correctly apply the diode equation. Do they want you to go that far for this problem? Do they want you to use a typical room temperature for the diode temperature?

Last edited:
Likes scottdave

1. What are diodes and why are they important in circuitry?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. They are important in circuitry because they help regulate the direction and amount of current in a circuit, which is crucial for proper functioning of electronic devices.

2. Why is finding currents on diodes difficult?

Finding currents on diodes can be difficult because they have a non-linear relationship between voltage and current. This means that the amount of current flowing through a diode is not directly proportional to the voltage applied to it, making it challenging to calculate.

3. What is the purpose of finding currents on diodes?

The purpose of finding currents on diodes is to ensure that they are operating within their safe limits. This is important for protecting the diode from damage and maintaining the overall functionality of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate currents on diodes?

To calculate currents on diodes, you will need to use Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's circuit laws, and the diode's characteristic curve. You will also need to know the voltage and resistance in the circuit. It may be helpful to use a diode current calculator or consult a circuit analysis textbook for further guidance.

5. What are some tips for handling finding currents on diodes?

One tip for handling finding currents on diodes is to carefully analyze the circuit and break it down into smaller parts. This can help simplify the calculations and make it easier to apply the necessary formulas. It is also important to double check your calculations and use multiple methods to confirm your results. Additionally, consulting with other scientists or engineers for guidance can be helpful.