Can't Stop Designing And Building Things

MarkSch
How did you find PF?
Trying to solve a physics problem online.
I am among other things a farmer who is getting older and having a harder time using my hands. My current project is to make fruit picking easier for myself. Over the years I have built homes, designed and built aluminum fishing boats in Alaska, Banjo's and guitars.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mark; it's good to have you here. :smile:

MarkSch said:
How did you find PF?: Trying to solve a physics problem online.

I am among other things a farmer who is getting older and having a harder time using my hands. My current project is to make fruit picking easier for myself. Over the years I have built homes, designed and built aluminum fishing boats in Alaska, Banjo's and guitars.
Thanks Berkeman!

Would you have an opinion on how to proceed? I am currently trying to design a vacuum system for picking small fruit. My initial use of available vacuum motors was promising, but I was only able to achieve 15 in of Hg with this system and it was not enough. The cost of producing stronger vacuums with bigger pumps goes up quickly, so quantifying the specific needs for the process would help with right-sizing a pump. I am also seeking to understand the different forces at work, CFM vs mmHg and the like. To proceed just put up a post with the work I have done to date with specific questions, or is there a better way?
Mark in Hawaii

I'm probably of no help on that project, but we have many people here who will be able to help. Start a new thread in the DIY forum and give as much information as you can about the task (which fruit, what kind of orchard/arrangement, what farm equipment you currently have, etc.) and ask for thoughts on how best to approach the challenge. :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/diy-projects.264/