Can't stop thinking about this girl --

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has developed feelings for a girl they have known for a long time and recently shared a New Year's kiss with. They are seeking advice on what to do and the suggestions include calling and asking her out, getting to know her better before making any decisions, and taking action instead of just thinking about it. The conversation ends with the person expressing regret over not taking a chance and calling the girl.
johny12321
Okay so I've known this girl forever, she's 21 and I'm 19. Our parents are best friends and we go away on vacation every year for New Years. This year, we had a New Year's kiss and it escalated to us hanging out pretty much the entire vacation. I can't get her out of my head but I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Call her.

Likes Silicon Waffle
well did you?
Unless you want to get married immediately, probably not a good idea, all you are doing is calling and seeing if she'd like to do something with you. She'll never know how you feel unless you talk to her.
Depending on social norms and her personality, she may never express her feelings first.

johny12321 said:
Okay so I've known this girl forever, she's 21 and I'm 19. Our parents are best friends and we go away on vacation every year for New Years. This year, we had a New Year's kiss and it escalated to us hanging out pretty much the entire vacation. I can't get her out of my head but I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Advice ? (If I were you) I would tell ask her out for a walk on some good day when you can tell her what you think about her, or e.g something like you can't get her out of your head.
No one has ever said so to me before, so if she doesn't accept you, please say the same thing to me then. I am open and I will like it a lot.

Likes Kilo Vectors
Oh dear, the infatuation claims yet another :(

Get to know her before you make any premature conclusions of how you feel about her. Things may and most likely will turn out quite differently than you had originally thought. Whether for better or for worse, who knows.

Just from my life experiences, I've regretted things I haven't done more than the things I did do.

Call her and go for a coffee.. feel out how she feels, take it from there.

what you need to do is stop thinking and act and pick up the phone and call her because if not the only place you will get is just thinking.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Me too, op, me too. I wish it had all worked out. First heartbreak is hardest.

Likes Silicon Waffle

1. Can you explain the science behind why I can't stop thinking about this girl?

There is no one specific scientific explanation for why someone can't stop thinking about a particular person. It could be due to various factors such as physical attraction, emotional connection, or past experiences. The brain's reward and pleasure centers also play a role in reinforcing thoughts about someone we are interested in.

2. Is it normal to constantly think about someone?

It is normal to think about someone frequently if you have feelings for them. However, if it starts to interfere with your daily life and becomes obsessive, it may be a sign of an underlying issue such as anxiety or insecurity.

3. Can't I just stop thinking about this person if I want to?

Trying to force yourself to stop thinking about someone can often have the opposite effect and make you think about them even more. It is important to acknowledge and accept your thoughts, but also find healthy ways to manage them and redirect your focus.

4. How can I stop constantly thinking about this girl?

One way to try and stop thinking about someone is to keep yourself busy and engaged in activities that bring you joy and fulfillment. It can also be helpful to talk to a trusted friend or therapist about your thoughts and feelings.

5. Is there a way to control my thoughts and stop thinking about this girl completely?

Trying to completely control and suppress your thoughts is not a healthy approach. Instead, try to understand and accept your thoughts, but also recognize that they do not define you. Focus on self-care and building a fulfilling life for yourself, and over time, your thoughts about this girl may become less intrusive.