Can't tell if I made a chaotic circuit or if I broke the sim

In summary, the speaker experimented with voltage multiplier circuits and discovered an unconventional method for converting a sine wave to a square wave using transformers. They tested their design on a simulator and observed unexpected chaotic behavior. The circuit diagram and instructions for simulation were provided, and the speaker asked for input on the cause of the erratic behavior. They also mentioned the potential use of magnetic saturation in controlling power.
ibuildstuff
So, I was playing around with a couple of voltage multiplier circuits a few months ago, and while optimizing one design, I came up with a pretty neat (not to brag) way of converting a sine wave to a square wave by using transformers in a completely different way than normally. A little while ago, I got bored and decided to test it in some free online simulator I found. Surprisingly, it seemed to work perfectly. Even more surprisingly, after playing around with it for a while, I was able to observe some pretty surprising effects.

Here's the circuit diagram, as best as I can remember it. It's pretty simple, but if you probe the voltage difference between points 1 and 2, you'll see a very odd periodic pattern: a sine wave for half of the period, followed by rapid, chaotic oscillations for the other half, if I remember correctly. Measure 3 and 4 to see the square wave:

20150324_220536.jpg

If you're using a simulator, you may have to wire it like this (I don't remember why. Something about the direction the current is traveling or something):

20150324_220546.jpg

So, is this truly chaotic behavior? Also, I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say inductors are weird, but I still can't figure out why this circuit would behave so erratically. Any ideas?

Your unusual circuit is duplicated. You only need to simulate half at the time.
That way you will be able to ground your AC supply and your resistive load.
Are you deliberately saturating the transformer cores or are you trying to alternate the flux direction ?

The magnetic saturation of transformer cores is used to control power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturable_reactor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royer_oscillator

1. What is a chaotic circuit?

A chaotic circuit is a type of electronic circuit that exhibits unpredictable behavior, making it difficult to analyze or predict its output. It is often characterized by its sensitivity to initial conditions and can produce seemingly random or chaotic patterns.

2. How can I tell if I have made a chaotic circuit?

The best way to determine if you have made a chaotic circuit is to observe its output. If the circuit produces a seemingly random or chaotic pattern, it is likely a chaotic circuit. You can also analyze the circuit's behavior using mathematical tools such as bifurcation diagrams or Lyapunov exponents.

3. Why is it important to differentiate between a chaotic circuit and a broken simulation?

Understanding whether you have created a chaotic circuit or if the simulation is broken is crucial for accurately interpreting the results of your experiment. A chaotic circuit may produce seemingly random patterns, but they are still governed by underlying mathematical equations. On the other hand, a broken simulation may produce completely invalid results, rendering your experiment unreliable.

4. Are there any common mistakes that can lead to a broken simulation?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can lead to a broken simulation. These include incorrect circuit connections, improper component values, or using incompatible simulation software. It is important to carefully check your circuit design and simulation settings to avoid these mistakes.

5. What steps can I take to ensure I have a functional chaotic circuit?

To ensure you have a functional chaotic circuit, it is important to carefully design and test your circuit before running any simulations. Start with a simple circuit and gradually add complexity while monitoring its behavior. Use mathematical tools, such as bifurcation diagrams, to analyze the circuit's behavior and verify its chaotic nature.