Capacitance: How to get 50 microF w/ 80.0 microF

In summary, the conversation is about finding the additional capacitor needed to reach a capacitance of 50 microF using a 80.0 microF capacitor. The speaker mentions trying different equations such as C = Q/deltaV and Ceq = (1/C1 +1/C2)^-1 but was unable to solve for the unknown correctly. They suggest trying the simpler equation Ceq = (C1*C2)/(C1+C2) for series capacitors.
Z COOL
Hey gang,
I am doing a Mastering physics question, and it's got me stumped. ><

Q: You need a capacitance of 50.0 microF, but you don't happen to have a 50.0 microfarads capacitor. You do have a 80.0 microF capacitor.

What additional capacitor is needed to get a capacitance of 50 microF?

I was thinking it has something to do w/ C = Q / deltaV. But that would mean that I would need to have some sort of knowledge of Q. I then tried

Ceq = (1/C1 +1/C2)^-1
and solved for 1/C1 to get 49.9875 microF. But that doesn't seem logical (+ I got it wrong ><)

Any suggestions / help? Greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you obviously solved for the unknown incorrectly. Why not try to solve the simpler equation (assuming series capacitors):

[tex]C_{eq} = \frac{C1 \cdot C2}{C1+C2}[/tex]

Hello there! It seems like you're on the right track with using the equation Ceq = (1/C1 +1/C2)^-1 to find the equivalent capacitance. However, since you already have an 80.0 microF capacitor, you can rearrange the equation to solve for C2 (the additional capacitor you need) instead of C1. This would give you C2 = (1/Ceq - 1/C1)^-1, where Ceq is the desired capacitance of 50.0 microF and C1 is the capacitance of the 80.0 microF capacitor you already have. Solving for C2 gives you a value of 126.3 microF, which is the additional capacitance you need to get a total capacitance of 50.0 microF. I hope this helps and good luck with your Mastering physics question!

Related to Capacitance: How to get 50 microF w/ 80.0 microF

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

How do you calculate capacitance?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored (in Coulombs) by the potential difference (in Volts) between the two plates of a capacitor.

What is the significance of having 50 microF with 80.0 microF?

The significance of having 50 microF with 80.0 microF is that the capacitance value is lower than the potential difference, which means the capacitor is not fully charged. This can indicate that there is still room for more charge to be stored in the capacitor.

How do you achieve 50 microF with 80.0 microF?

To achieve 50 microF with 80.0 microF, you can either decrease the potential difference or increase the amount of charge stored in the capacitor. This can be done by adjusting the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, or the type of dielectric material used.

What are some real-world applications of capacitance?

Capacitors have many practical applications, including energy storage in electronic devices, power factor correction in electrical grids, and filtering out noise in audio circuits. They are also used in timing circuits, sensors, and as part of energy storage systems in renewable energy technologies.