What is the value of capacitance C?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the value of capacitance C in a circuit with multiple capacitors, given that the equivalent capacitance is 9.22 microFarads. The equations used include 1/Cs=(1/C1)+(1/C2) for series circuits and Cp=C1+C2 for parallel circuits. The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the circuit and setting up the correct equation, but there is an error in the calculation leading to a different result than the expected 2.558 microFarads. The conversation then discusses resolving the circuit in the correct order, taking into account the brackets.
help me pls

Homework Statement

The equivalent capacitance of the capacitors shown in Figure 21-41 is 9.22 microFarads. Find the value of capacitance C.

Homework Equations

Ok so this has to deal with Ceq, and it is a combonation of series and parallel circuits. Knowing this, I can use for series 1/Cs=(1/C1)+(1/C2) and so on. For parallel, it is Cp=C1+C2 and so on.

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the picture, the givens is Ceq = 9.22 microFarads. I first simplify the circuit so that it shows 3 parallel circuits, which are 7.22 microFarads, ((4.25C)/(4.25+C),and 4.92. Setting up the equation, i get C to equal something not 2.56 microfarads. What did i do wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.57.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 11.57.56 PM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 846
Physics news on Phys.org
help me pls said:
3 parallel circuits, which are 7.22 microFarads, ((4.25C)/(4.25+C),and 4.92.
I would calculate that again (there's an error here). Look at the circuit carefully.
(btw. you SHOULD get 2,558microF)

Not exactly 3 parallel circuits but 7.22 in parallel with (C in series with (4.25 in parallel with (12.0 in series with 8.35)))

That's correct but you have to resolve them in the right order taking into account the brackets eg...

"12.0 in series with 8.35"
then
"4.25 in parallel with" the above
then
"C in series with" the above
etc

However this bit..
help me pls said:
((4.25C)/(4.25+C),
suggests you did
"C in series with 4.25"
or something like that.

1) What is capacitance C?

Capacitance C is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is represented by the letter C and is measured in units of Farads (F).

2) How is capacitance C calculated?

Capacitance C can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where Q is the charge stored on the object and V is the voltage across the object.

3) What factors affect the capacitance C of an object?

The capacitance C of an object is affected by the size and shape of the object, the distance between the plates, and the type of material between the plates. A larger surface area, closer distance between plates, and higher dielectric constant will result in a higher capacitance C.

4) Why is capacitance C important in electronics?

Capacitance C is important in electronics because it allows for the storage of electrical energy, which is crucial for many electronic devices to function properly. Capacitors, which are made up of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, are commonly used in circuits to store and release electrical energy.

5) How can the value of capacitance C be determined experimentally?

The value of capacitance C can be determined experimentally by using a capacitance meter or by measuring the charge and voltage of the object and using the equation C = Q/V. It can also be calculated by measuring the physical dimensions of the object and using the equation C = εA/d, where ε is the dielectric constant, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.