Capacitance of a Sphere: A Quick Calculation Method

In summary: So, C = a/k = 9e9 a SI. Here, a = 6/12 ft = 0.5 ft. Therefore, C = 9e9 0.5 ft = 4.5e9 ft. In SI units, this is approximately 1.4e-9 F. Summary:: In summary, the capacitance of a one foot diameter metal sphere is approximately 1.4e-9 F.
arydberg
Could anyone tell me the capacitance of a one food diameter metal sphere. I know that this is a one terminal component but it still should have a capacitance. If a charge of Q is small and a 6 inch radius is drawn about the point then that 6 inch radius ( 12 in diameter ) should have a voltage associated with it. C = Q/V

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
arydberg said:
Summary:: capacitance of a sphere

Could anyone tell me the capacitance of a one food diameter metal sphere. I know that this is a one terminal component but it still should have a capacitance. If a charge of Q is small and a 6 inch radius is drawn about the point then that 6 inch radius ( 12 in diameter ) should have a voltage associated with it. C = Q/V

Thanks
Look up the capacitance of a concentric spherical capacitor and then make the outer sphere radius infinitely large. To find a numerical answer, don't forget to convert the one food diameter to conventional SI units.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
It may be handy to know that in the Centimetre-Gram-Second (cgs) system of units, the capacitance of a sphere is equal to its radius, and the unit of capacitance is the centimetre. By good fortune, a centimetre of capacitance is approximately equal to a picofarad. 1cm = 1.11pF. So the capacitance of a sphere is approximately equal to its radius in centimetres.

Likes vanhees71
Note that this refers to the non-rationalized (Gaussian) cgs system of units!

tech99 said:
It may be handy to know that in the Centimetre-Gram-Second (cgs) system of units, the capacitance of a sphere is equal to its radius, and the unit of capacitance is the centimetre. By good fortune, a centimetre of capacitance is approximately equal to a picofarad. 1cm = 1.11pF. So the capacitance of a sphere is approximately equal to its radius in centimetres.
Thank you

In SI units the capacitance is ##4\pi \epsilon_0R## or about ##R/(9\times 10^9)##. The result is the same as the one mentioned by tech99.

Likes vanhees71
arydberg said:
Summary:: capacitance of a sphere

Thanks
Right, and it's a quick way to come up with the capacitance of the sphere:
V = kQ/a = Q/C, k = 9e9 SI.

1. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a sphere is C = 4πε₀r, where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the radius of the sphere affect its capacitance?

The capacitance of a sphere is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the capacitance also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can the capacitance of a sphere be negative?

No, the capacitance of a sphere cannot be negative. It is a measure of the ability of a sphere to store electric charge, and therefore, it must always be a positive value.

4. How does the dielectric material surrounding the sphere affect its capacitance?

The capacitance of a sphere is inversely proportional to the relative permittivity of the dielectric material surrounding it. This means that as the relative permittivity increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa.

5. What is the unit of capacitance for a sphere?

The unit of capacitance for a sphere is farads (F), named after the English physicist Michael Faraday. It is equivalent to coulombs per volt (C/V) in the SI system of units.