What is the capacitance between two points on three concentric shells?

• B
  • Thread starter Kashmir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the capacitance between two points x and y, using three concentric shells of different radii. One solution approach is to treat it as two capacitors in series. The person also requests for a more basic approach using the definition of capacitance. The conversation ends with a reminder to post in the Schoolwork forums and show effort before seeking help.
Kashmir
Misplaced Homework Thread with No Effort Shown
IMG-20230727-WA0003.jpg

A friend of mine sent me this problem about finding the capacitance.
We have three concentric shells of radius a, b, c. And we've to find the capacitance between x and y.

I need help.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Among many ways, you could treat it as two capacitors (a,b ---b,c) in series. What is the capacitance of two concentric shells?

Likes Kashmir
hutchphd said:
Among many ways, you could treat it as two capacitors (a,b ---b,c) in series. What is the capacitance of two concentric shells?
I would love to get a hint to do it any other way. Something that is more basic, like by using just the starting definition of C=Q/ V.
Thank you for your reply :)

Kashmir said:
View attachment 329683

A friend of mine sent me this problem about finding the capacitance.
We have three concentric shells of radius a, b, c. And we've to find the capacitance between x and y.

I need help.

Thank you
You've been at PF long enough to know that any schoolwork-type problem like this needs to be posted in the Schoolwork forums, and you need to show your best efforts to work on the problem. This thread is now closed. Please re-post in the Schoolwork forums. Thank you.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is defined as the ratio of the electric charge on each conductor to the potential difference between them.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance between two points on three concentric shells can be calculated using the following formula: C = (4πε0εr)/ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the shells, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer shells, respectively.

3. What are concentric shells?

Concentric shells are a set of three or more hollow, spherical shells that share a common center. In the context of capacitance, they are used to represent a system of conductors with varying radii.

4. How does the distance between the shells affect capacitance?

The distance between the shells, represented by the difference between the radii a and b, is directly proportional to the capacitance. This means that as the distance between the shells increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa.

5. What factors affect the capacitance between two points on three concentric shells?

The capacitance between two points on three concentric shells is affected by the permittivity of the material between the shells, the radii of the shells, and the distance between them. Additionally, the shape and arrangement of the shells can also impact the capacitance.