Derivation of capacitance for two shells

In summary: If R > r then your first formula in your first post gives negative capacitance so you know that must be wrong!To correct it, swap r and R. Then you get your second formula! Capiche?
Stendhal

Homework Statement

A spherical capacitor is formed from two concentric, spherical, conducting shells separated by vacuum. The inner sphere has radius r the capacitance is C.

What is the outer radius R?

Already solved the problem, but I'm more wondering on how to derive the equation that I used.

Homework Equations

Capacitance for a solid inner sphere and outer shell is:

$$\frac {4πε} {\frac {1} {R} - \frac {1} {r}}$$

While for two shells at equal radii, the capacitance is:

$$ \frac {4πε*r*R} {R - r}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The first equation is simple to figure out, but I'm not really sure how and why making the problem into two shells causes that change.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write ##\frac{1}{R} - \frac{1}{r}## as a single fraction, you will see that the two formulas are the same, except R is the smaller radius in the first formula while R is the larger radius in the second formula.

Stendhal said:
While for two shells at equal radii, the capacitance is:
$$ \frac {4πε*r*R} {R - r}$$
Two shells at equal radii? So what are R and r? The capacitance between two shells of "equal radii" would be infinite ...

TSny said:
If you write ##\frac{1}{R} - \frac{1}{r}## as a single fraction, you will see that the two formulas are the same, except R is the smaller radius in the first formula while R is the larger radius in the second formula.

I'm still not getting what you're saying there.
rude man said:
Two shells at equal radii? So what are R and r? The capacitance between two shells of "equal radii" would be infinite ...
Whoops, that would change how the question works a lot. My bad, R is suppose to be greater than r.

Stendhal said:
I'm still not getting what you're saying there.
Whoops, that would change how the question works a lot. My bad, R is suppose to be greater than r.
If R > r then your first formula in your first post gives negative capacitance so you know that must be wrong!
To correct it, swap r and R. Then you get your second formula! Capiche?

1. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of two shells?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of two concentric spherical shells is given by C = 4πε0εr(ab/|b-a|), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the dielectric material between the shells, a is the inner radius of the inner shell, and b is the outer radius of the outer shell.

2. What is the significance of the relative permittivity in the capacitance formula?

The relative permittivity, or dielectric constant, is a measure of how much a material can store electrical energy compared to a vacuum. It affects the capacitance by increasing or decreasing the electric field between the two shells, thus affecting the amount of charge that can be stored.

3. Can the capacitance of two shells be negative?

No, the capacitance of two shells cannot be negative. Capacitance is a physical property that represents the ability of a system to store electrical charge, and it can only take positive values. A negative capacitance value would have no physical meaning.

4. How does the distance between the shells affect the capacitance?

The distance between the two shells, represented by the term |b-a| in the capacitance formula, is inversely proportional to the capacitance. This means that as the distance between the shells increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance between the shells results in a weaker electric field and therefore less charge can be stored.

5. What are some real-life applications of the capacitance of two shells?

The capacitance of two shells has various applications in technology, such as in capacitors used in electronic circuits, high-voltage power transmission systems, and energy storage devices. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI, as well as in sensors for measuring pressure, humidity, and temperature.