Capacitive sensors: mutual capacitance

In summary, Mutual capacitance sensors consist of two intersecting lines that contribute to the capacitance. There is always one transmitting line and one or more receiving lines.
MyNameIsNeo
Hi folks,

I'm playing around with capacitive sensors (mutual capacitance sensors) and interested in computing/approximating the capacitance between the sensor lines. Mutual capacitance sensors usually consist of two lines/conductors that intersect. Obviously, one can model this is a parallel plate capacitor. However, I would be interested in doing this more accurately.

I attached a sketch to illustrate the problem. One can see the two conductors that intersect (for now, the angle of the intersection shall be 90 degrees). In between, let's assume there is air or some other dielectric material. The red area shows the parallel plate of the "parallel plate capacitor". From my understanding, the orange and yellow area should also contribute to the capacitance and this is exactly the part I cannot understand/model. For the model, let's simply assume that the two conductors have infinite length (bold arrow on the top conductor shall indicate that it does not end)

Please note, that for mutual capacitance sensors, there is always one transmitting line, and one or more receiving lines. Hence, they are call TX-electrode, whereas the other ones are named RX-electrode.

I did study computer science and had some courses in EE, too. But I guess this is a little too advanced which is why I'm asking here for your support. In particular, I would like to know:

a) How to compute the complete capacitance
b) Which models/possible solutions exist on how to compute it (is there a significant difference?))
c) How things change when, e.g., a shielding is on top and/or bottom (probably "blocks" the field lines somehow)

Ideally, your explanation is easy to follow for a non-EE/physics student ;-)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/conductor_intersection-png.76696/?temp_hash=33ae8af28afb2c8cbec51caad716c2e6

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can simulate it to get an approximation - for a given potential difference, iteratively solve the Poisson equation, then determine the electric field strength at the surface of the conductors, calculate the charge and divide it by the given potential difference. Or find a software package that does those steps for you for every geometry you want to study.

1. What is a capacitive sensor?

A capacitive sensor is a type of sensor that measures changes in capacitance, which is the ability of a material to store an electric charge. It works by detecting changes in the electrical field between two conductive objects, such as two metal plates, as the distance between them changes.

2. How does mutual capacitance work in capacitive sensors?

Mutual capacitance is a type of capacitive sensing that involves two conductive objects, such as a sensor and a touch surface, that are separated by an insulating material. The capacitance between the objects changes when the distance between them changes, and this change is measured by the sensor to determine touch or proximity.

3. What are the advantages of using mutual capacitance in capacitive sensors?

Mutual capacitance offers several advantages in capacitive sensors. It allows for more accurate and reliable touch detection, as it is less affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. It also allows for multi-touch detection, where multiple touch points can be detected simultaneously.

4. What are some common applications of capacitive sensors with mutual capacitance?

Capacitive sensors with mutual capacitance are commonly used in touchscreens, touchpads, and trackpads. They are also used in proximity sensors, where the sensor can detect the presence of an object without physical contact. Other applications include industrial automation, automotive, and consumer electronics.

5. Are there any limitations to using mutual capacitance in capacitive sensors?

While mutual capacitance offers many advantages, it does have some limitations. It requires a complex circuit and a higher number of sensing electrodes compared to self-capacitance, which can increase the cost of production. It also has a limited sensing range, so it may not be suitable for applications that require long-distance sensing.