Capacitor. Find thickness of polystyrene

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the thickness of polystyrene in a 490 pF capacitor with two 19 cm-radius circular plates. Using the equation d = (ε_0 * Area * K) / C, the individual attempted to convert the values and calculate the thickness, but realized their mistake in using a K value of 2.3 instead of the correct value of 2.6.
owtu

Homework Statement

A 490 pF capacitor consists of two 19 cm -radius circular plates, insulated with polystyrene

Find the thickness of the polystyrene.

Homework Equations

d = (ε_0 * Area * K) / C

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 490 pF to F

4.90 * 10^-10 F

I converted 19 cm to meters

.19 m

and found the area of the plate

∏r^2 = ∏(.19)^2 = .1134 m^2

K of polystyrene = 2.3, so now just plug everything into my equation

d = ((2.3) * (8.854*10^-12) * (.1134)) / (4.9 * 10^-10)

d = .00471 m

I want my answer in mm with two significant figures

d = 4.7 mm

mastering physics tells me this is the wrong answer, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I found it. the value for K was 2.6 not 2.3, I was mistaken

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it causes a buildup of positive and negative charges on each plate. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy. The amount of energy a capacitor can store is determined by its capacitance, which is measured in farads.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor?

Capacitors are used in many electronic devices to regulate and filter electrical signals, as well as to store energy for later use. They are commonly used in power supplies, audio equipment, and electronic circuits.

4. How do you calculate the thickness of polystyrene for a capacitor?

The thickness of polystyrene for a capacitor can be calculated using the following formula: t = (K * A * d) / C, where t is the thickness, K is the dielectric constant of polystyrene, A is the area of the plates, d is the distance between the plates, and C is the desired capacitance. This formula assumes a parallel plate capacitor geometry.

5. What are the advantages of using polystyrene as a dielectric in a capacitor?

Polystyrene is a popular dielectric material for capacitors because it has a high dielectric constant, low dissipation factor, and good thermal stability. It is also inexpensive and readily available. However, it is not suitable for high voltage applications due to its low breakdown voltage.