Capillary Action: Overcoming Capillary Force with Ions

In summary: Okay, thanks for the clarification. That type of free energy is the type that we don't discuss here. Please follow the links in the quote from the rules to read more about why that kind of free energy generation cannot work.
imbelhassen
Hello

So like anyone who read about capillary action, you think about free energy generation, but as I read the problem is that the water won't leave the capillary tube on the other side because of the capillary action. So you need to use the capillary force from one end of the tube then overcame it on the other end.

So what if we use a ionized liquid ( positively or negatively charged) this way the electrostatic force will be repelling the molecules from each other, so it will be added to the capillary force to get the liquid higher but then it will work against it on the other end forcing the liquid to leave the tube, will that work ?

Physics news on Phys.org
imbelhassen said:
so it will be added to the capillary force to get the liquid higher but then it will work against it on the other end
How is that supposed to work?

imbelhassen said:
Hello

So like anyone who read about capillary action, you think about free energy generation, but as I read the problem is that the water won't leave the capillary tube on the other side because of the capillary action. So you need to use the capillary force from one end of the tube then overcame it on the other end.

So what if we use a ionized liquid ( positively or negatively charged) this way the electrostatic force will be repelling the molecules from each other, so it will be added to the capillary force to get the liquid higher but then it will work against it on the other end forcing the liquid to leave the tube, will that work ?
Welcome to the PF.

Free Energy discussions are a forbidden topic here at the PF. This thread is closed.
Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

@imbelhassen -- the thread has been re-opened by the Mentors. Please clarify which type of "free energy" you are referring to. Thanks.

berkeman said:
@imbelhassen -- the thread has been re-opened by the Mentors. Please clarify which type of "free energy" you are referring to. Thanks.

by free energy I am referring to using a combination of capillary force and electrostatic force to create an infinite movement that can generate work. I read in the forum about machines based on capillary force, and I am suggesting an idea that may work.

imbelhassen said:
by free energy I am referring to using a combination of capillary force and electrostatic force to create an infinite movement that can generate work. I read in the forum about machines based on capillary force, and I am suggesting an idea that may work.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. That type of free energy is the type that we don't discuss here. Please follow the links in the quote from the rules to read more about why that kind of free energy generation cannot work.

1. What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the process by which a liquid moves through a narrow space due to the forces of adhesion and cohesion.

2. How does capillary action overcome capillary force?

Capillary action overcomes capillary forces through the presence of ions, which can neutralize the surface tension of the liquid and allow it to flow more easily through narrow spaces.

3. What are ions and how do they affect capillary action?

Ions are electrically charged particles that are present in liquids such as water. They can disrupt the surface tension of the liquid and reduce the capillary force, making it easier for the liquid to move through narrow spaces.

4. What are some real-life applications of capillary action?

Capillary action has many practical applications, such as in plants where it helps water move from the roots to the leaves, and in paper towels where it helps absorb liquid. It is also used in medical devices such as microfluidic channels and in lab-on-a-chip technologies.

5. Can capillary action be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, capillary action can be controlled and manipulated through various factors such as the surface tension of the liquid, the size and shape of the capillary, and the presence of ions. This allows for a wide range of applications and research opportunities in various fields.