Capillary action speed formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for describing capillary action speed in a medium and whether it can be reversed to determine speed or just for volume. Additional links are given for further information on the topic.
Alfreds9
Hi,

I was looking for a formula to describe capillary action speed in a medium.

On wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action) I came across a formula which describes the cumulative volume of a liquid drawn by capillary action after time t

1142f6fce96c92473511aa33d772e30d.png

where V is cumulative volume, A is area, S is sorptivity and t is time.

If I reverse this to

t = (V/AS)2, is this the speed/time correlation I'm looking for, or is it just a relation with volume?Thank you

Allison

Physics news on Phys.org

What is capillary action speed formula?

Capillary action speed formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the speed at which a liquid moves through a narrow tube or channel due to the forces of surface tension and adhesion.

How is capillary action speed formula derived?

The capillary action speed formula is derived from the combination of the Young-Laplace equation, which describes the relationship between surface tension and curvature, and the Washburn equation, which relates the rate of liquid flow to the dimensions of the capillary tube.

What factors affect the speed of capillary action?

The speed of capillary action is affected by several factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the diameter and length of the capillary tube, and the contact angle between the liquid and the tube's surface.

Can capillary action speed formula be used for all liquids?

The capillary action speed formula can be used for most liquids, but it may not accurately predict the speed for non-Newtonian fluids or liquids with high viscosities. Additionally, the formula assumes a constant temperature and pressure, so it may not be accurate for extreme conditions.

How can capillary action speed formula be applied in real-world situations?

The capillary action speed formula has many practical applications, including in microfluidic devices, paper chromatography, and soil moisture measurement. It can also be used to understand the movement of fluids in plants and other natural processes.