Rate at which a bucket gets filled

• Thread starter brotherbobby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the problem statement is given, and it is clear from the figure that the height of the liquid at any given time is related to the height of the liquid at the midrib. The volume of the liquid in a bucket is related to the difference in the volumes of the cones formed by rotating UVO and ABO about the vertical axis. The area of the water surface is calculated to be 452.4 cm2.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Water from a tap drops into a bucket at the rate of ##1\;cm^3/s##. The bucket is in the shape of an overturned right circular "cone", with a base diameter of 16 cm and its top diameter of 40 cm, as the picture below shows. It is 30 cm tall. At a height of ##10\; cm##, calculate the ##\mathbf{\text{rate}}## at which water climbs up the sides of the bucket in ##cm/s##.
Relevant Equations
1. ##y(x)## is a function, given or found. The rate at which variable ##y## changes with ##x## at a given point ##x_0## is given by ##\left.\frac{dy}{dx} \right|_{x=x_0}##.
2. If triangle ##ABC## is similar to triangle ##DEF##, the ratio of their corresponding sides are proportional. Thus, for example, ##\frac{AB}{DE} = \frac{BC}{EF}##.
3. The volume of a (right circular) cone is given by : ##V_{\text{cone}} = \dfrac{1}{3} \pi r^2 h##, the symbols having their usual meanings.
bucket.png
Problem statement :
The problem statement is given above. I draw the image to the right. Note I have drawn the radii which is half the given diameters.

Attempt : I wonder right at the start if the height of the bucket, 30 cm, is relevant. Though I am tentative, it is also clear to me right away that, because the volume flow rate is a constant (##1\;cm^3/s##), the rate of increase of water is highest at the base (smallest area) and lowest at the top (largest area).

What is the volume ##V(t)## of the liquid at any given instant of time? That seems to be the problem. How is this volume related to the height of the liquid at that time, ##y(t)##?
We know the rate at which volume increases : ##\frac{dV}{dt} = 1\;cm^3/s##.

bucket2.png
To progress further, for my own convenience, I extend the the bucket "beyond" its base where its slant height and "midrib" meet. I paste the figure to the left. The bucket is given by ABCD and the water surface by UV. Both DB and CA meet "below" the bucket at O. The bucket has radii ##\mathbf{R_1,R_2}## and height ##\mathbf{H}##; the water surface a momentary radius of ##\mathbf{r}## and a height ##\mathbf{y}##. The point O is at a depth ##\mathbf{x}## from the base AB.

From similar triangles AOB and COD, we have ##\frac{R_2}{x+H} = \frac{R_1}{x}\Rightarrow x = \frac{R_1}{R_2-R_1}H= \frac{8}{20-8}\times 30= 20\;\text{cm}##.

What is the (instantaneous) volume of water in the bucket? Calling that volume as ##V## and realising that it is a function of the time ##t##, we see that this volume is given by the "difference" in volumes of the "cones" formed by rotating UVO and ABO about the vertial axis. Remembering the formula for the volume of a cone, we find that the instantaneous volume of water $$V= \dfrac{\pi}{3}r^2(x+y)-\dfrac{\pi}{3}R_1^2x= \dfrac{\pi}{3}\left[ r^2(x+y) - R_1^2x \right].$$ From similar ##\triangle's\; \mathbf{UVO}\; \text{and}\; \mathbf{ABO}##, we have ##\frac{r}{x+y} = \frac{R_1}{x}\Rightarrow r^2 = \left(1+\frac{y}{x}\right)^2 R_1^2##. Substituting this value for ##r## in the expression for the volume of water above, $$V = \dfrac{\pi}{3} R_1^2 \left[ (x+y) (1+y/x)^2-x\right] = \dfrac{\pi}{3} R_1^2\left[ (x+y) \left(1+\frac{2y}{x}+\frac{y^2}{x^2}\right) - x\right]= \dfrac{\pi}{3} R_1^2 \left[3y+\frac{3y^2}{x}+\frac{y^3}{x^2}\right]$$ after expanding the brackets and some algebra.
Differentiating both sides relative to time, and using ##\dot x=\frac{dx}{dt}##, we have $$\dot V = \dfrac{\pi}{3} R_1^2\left[3\dot y+\frac{6y\dot y}{x}+\frac{3y^2\dot y}{x^2}\right]=\pi R_1^2 \dot y\left(1+\frac{y}{x}\right)^2\Rightarrow \dot y = \frac{\dot V}{\pi R_1^2} \frac{1}{\left(1+\frac{y}{x} \right)^2}$$

Putting values, we get ##\dot y = \frac{1}{\pi \times 8^2}\times \frac{1}{\left(1+\frac{10}{20} \right)^2} = \boxed{2.21\times 10^{-3}\; \text{cm/s}}##.

Ignoring the answer, is my line of reasoning correct?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right answer (although not precisely).

Calculate the area of the water surface.
PS: You have already seriously over-thought this thing.

Likes pbuk
.Scott said:
Yes, @brotherbobby your line of reasoning is over-complicated: you don't need calculus for this. You should be able to write down the value "12cm" pretty much straight away: can you see how? And can you see why it is important?

Last edited:
.Scott said:
You have the right answer (although not precisely).

I suppose what you are trying to make me realize is that we could use the fact that the rate of volume flow (which is a constant) at any point ##\dot V = A(t) v(t)##, where ##A(t)## is the instantaneous cross sectional area of water and ##v(t)## the instantaneous velocity of water.

1621526754635.png
Attempt :
I put the image again. To find the area of cross section of the water (##r##), we need to use the similar triangles UVO and ABO. I have done that above to get ##r = \left(1+\frac{y}{x}\right)R_1 ##.

The area of cross section of the water front : ##A(t) = \pi \left(1+\frac{y}{x}\right)^2R^2_1= \pi \times \left(1+\frac{10}{20}\right)^2\times 8^2 = 452.4\; \text{cm}^2##.

Given ##\dot V = A(t)v(t)\Rightarrow v(t) = \frac{\dot V}{A(t)} = \frac{1\;\text{cm}^3\text{/s}}{452.4\;\text{cm}^2} = \boxed{2.210\times 10^{-3}\;\text{cm/s}}##.

It is the same to the answer I got but with much less effort. Thank you for the help.

Likes .Scott
I took note of the fact that the radius was 1/3 of the way from 8cm to 20cm, thus 8+(1/3)(20-8) = 8+4 = 12cm
So the area is 144pi cm2.

Also: My comment about imprecise was inaccurate. I must have mistyped pi.

Likes pbuk

1. What factors affect the rate at which a bucket gets filled?

The rate at which a bucket gets filled can be affected by several factors such as the size of the bucket, the size of the opening, the flow rate of the liquid, and the angle at which the liquid is poured.

2. How can I calculate the rate at which a bucket gets filled?

The rate at which a bucket gets filled can be calculated by dividing the volume of liquid poured into the bucket by the time it takes to fill the bucket. This will give you the flow rate or volume per unit time.

3. Does the type of liquid being poured affect the rate at which a bucket gets filled?

Yes, the type of liquid being poured can affect the rate at which a bucket gets filled. Thicker liquids, such as honey, will flow slower than thinner liquids, such as water.

4. How does the shape of the bucket affect the rate at which it gets filled?

The shape of the bucket can affect the rate at which it gets filled. A bucket with a wider opening will allow for a faster flow rate, while a bucket with a narrower opening will result in a slower flow rate.

5. Can the rate at which a bucket gets filled be increased?

Yes, the rate at which a bucket gets filled can be increased by increasing the flow rate of the liquid, using a larger bucket, or pouring the liquid at a steeper angle. However, the type of liquid being poured and the size of the opening will also play a role in the rate at which the bucket gets filled.