Car Accident: Need Assistance Please

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance regarding a car accident their son was involved in. The driver of the truck that rear-ended their son's car admitted to being distracted, but the driver of the car in front believes their son hit him twice, causing a three vehicle accident. The speaker believes their son was pushed into the car in front of him by the truck, as evidenced by the lack of damage to the front of his car. They are seeking an expert to examine the vehicle and testify in court about their theory. It is suggested to hire a licensed PE to prove what happened during the crash. The speaker also mentions the possibility of insurance company involvement.
Depruncil
Hi there! I am in need of assistance, please. My son was involved in a car accident, in which there was an obstacle in the road that caused traffic to suddenly stop, unexpectedly. He (from what he tells me) was paying attention and was slowed almost to a stop, when he was struck from behind by a truck that was moving at about 30 mph. The driver of the truck admitted that she had turned around and was talking to her child in the back seat and didn't notice that the traffic has stopped. My son was forced into the car in front of him, thus causing a three vehicle accident. However, the driver of the car in front stated that he felt two bumps and believes that my son hit him and then he was hit again when the truck rear-ended my son. Nobody else believes this to be true, but the officer cited my son for failure to control speed, based on this man's testimony. All other witnesses state that my son was hit first. I am a social worker, not a physicist, so I am not sure, but I feel like it is very possible and even likely that my son would have bumped the car in front of him twice if he was nearing a stop and was hit from behind, by a larger vehicle, at a rate of speed of 30 mph. I think that logically a car would hit and then rebound and hit again. But the officer argued that he has worked accidents for 20 yrs and that my theory is not true. Also, based on the amount of damage on my son's car, it seems obvious to me that he did not hit the car in front of him first or with any amount of speed, as the front of my son's vehicle is virtually undamaged--just a couple of minor scratches and dings--while the rear of his vehicle is completely trashed. The frame is bent and the car is totaled. The car in front had significant damage to rearend and the truck in the back was damaged beyond drivability. I don't know why I believe that the lack of damage to the front-end of my son's car leads me to believe that he was not moving at any rate of speed when he made contact with the car in front, and why it makes sense to me that it proves he was pushed into the car, rather than striking it while moving, but for some reason, that is seems obvious to me. Can anyone tell me if these assumptions are true, and if so why? And who would I need to enlist to examine the vehicle to present this theory (as an expert) in court, if it is correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to hire an PE (Professional Engineer) who is licensed in your state. He will be able to prove what happened and more important he will be able to testify in court about it.

During a crash cars can both deform and act like springs, strange things can happen. It is possible (but maybe not cost effective) to figure out exactly what happend.

Has the insurance company been of any help?

1. What should I do immediately after a car accident?

After a car accident, the first thing you should do is check for injuries and call for medical assistance if needed. Then, call the police to report the accident and document the incident. Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver(s) involved. It is also important to take pictures of the accident scene and any damages to the vehicles.

2. Do I need to contact my insurance company after a car accident?

Yes, it is important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible after a car accident. They will guide you through the claim process and help cover any damages or injuries that may have occurred.

3. How long do I have to file a claim after a car accident?

The time limit for filing a claim after a car accident varies by state and insurance company. Typically, you should file a claim within 24 hours of the accident. However, it is best to contact your insurance company immediately after the accident to ensure you do not miss any deadlines.

4. What if the other driver does not have insurance?

If the other driver involved in the accident does not have insurance, you may still be able to receive compensation for damages and injuries through your own insurance policy. This coverage is known as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you do not have this coverage, you may need to file a lawsuit against the other driver to receive compensation.

5. Should I seek medical attention even if I do not feel injured after a car accident?

Yes, it is important to seek medical attention after a car accident even if you do not feel injured. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not show symptoms immediately and can worsen over time. It is best to get evaluated by a medical professional to ensure you receive proper treatment and documentation of any injuries sustained.