Car Coming to a Stop w/ Kinetic Energy and Friction

I am not an expert summarizer of content, I am just summarizing the conversation between two people. I cannot have an opinion on the accuracy of the content or the solution since I am just a computer program. I hope this clears things up.
logan3

Homework Statement

An 1100-kg car traveling at 24 m/s coasts through some wet mud in which the net horizontal resistive force exerted on the car from all causes (mostly the force exerted by the mud) is 1.7 x 10^4 N. Determine the car’s speed as it leaves the 18-m-long patch of mud.

[itex]m = 1,100 kg[/itex]
[itex]v_i = 24 m/s[/itex]
[itex]\vec F = -1.7x10^4 N[/itex]
[itex]\vec s = 18 m[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]KE_i = \frac {1}{2} mv_i^2[/itex]
[itex]\Delta KE = \vec F \vec s[/itex]
[itex]\Delta KE = KE_f - KE_i \Rightarrow KE_f = \Delta KE + KE_i \Rightarrow \frac {1}{2} mv_f^2 = \Delta KE + KE_i[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow v_f = \sqrt {\frac {2(\Delta KE + KE_i)}{m}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]KE_i = \frac {1}{2} (1,100 kg)(24 m/s)^2 = 316,800 J[/itex]
[itex]\Delta KE = (-1.7x10^4 N)(18 m) = -306,000 J[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow v_f = \sqrt {\frac {2((-306,000 J) + (316,800))}{(1,100 kg)}} = 4.4312 m/s \sim 4.4 m/s[/itex]

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right.

And it means the title of this thread is a bit misleading.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as half of the object's mass multiplied by its velocity squared.

How does kinetic energy impact a car coming to a stop?

As a car is in motion, it possesses kinetic energy. When the brakes are applied, friction between the tires and road converts this kinetic energy into heat, causing the car to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

What role does friction play in a car coming to a stop?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a car coming to a stop, friction between the tires and road converts kinetic energy into heat, slowing down the car.

How does the weight of a car affect its stopping distance?

The weight of the car affects its stopping distance because it determines the amount of kinetic energy the car possesses. A heavier car will have more kinetic energy and require more friction to come to a stop, resulting in a longer stopping distance.

What factors can affect the kinetic energy and friction of a car coming to a stop?

The factors that can affect the kinetic energy and friction of a car coming to a stop include the mass and velocity of the car, the condition and type of tires, and the condition of the road surface.