Car curves at a radius of 50m while travelling at 100km/hr

In summary: Remember to convert from rev/min to rad/s.In summary, To calculate the centripetal acceleration module, convert the given velocity to meters per second, square it, and divide by the radius in meters. Then, divide the result by 9.8 to get the multiple. For some problems, you may need to also find the angular velocity and convert from revolutions per minute to radians per second.
MissJewels

Homework Statement

Calculate the centripetal acceleration module in the following cases as a multiple of g = 9.8 m / s ^ 2.
a) a car traveling at 100km / h on a curve of radius 50m.
b) a jet plane flying at 1,500 km / h and making a turning radius of 5km.
c) a stone that is rotated every 0.5 s after a string of length 1 m
d) a speck of dust on the edge of a disk of 30 cm diameter rotating at 33.33333 ... rev / min.
e) a molecule in a centrifugal radius of 15cm rotating at 30,000 rev / min.

Homework Equations

a)

g= 9.8 m/s2
ar = v2/r
ar = ug

u: coefficient of friction(WHERE DO I GET THIS?!)

haven't touched b) and on yet..

The Attempt at a Solution

so here's how i began...
converted:
vi = 100km/h = 10 000m/3600s = 27,78m/s
ar= 1002/50 = 200 m/s2

ar = 9,8u

Okay... so how do i get the coefficient of friction(u) if I am not given any mass value?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the coefficient of Friction for these problems. Convert the velocity to m/s. Square it and divide by the radius in meters to get ac. Divide by 9.8 to get the multiple.

You will need to find the angular velocity for some of these problems and be able to convert from revolutions/min to radians/sec

RTW69 said:
You don't need the coefficient of Friction for these problems. Convert the velocity to m/s. Square it and divide by the radius in meters to get ac. Divide by 9.8 to get the multiple.

You will need to find the angular velocity for some of these problems and be able to convert from revolutions/min to radians/sec
That's awesome, thanks! I got a, b, and c, but I am stuck on d ... given its diameter, where do i go from there?

Last edited:
Remember that ac=r*ω2 you have r you need to find ω, the angular velocity. The units are radians/sec. The stone makes 1 revolution in .5 seconds. 1 revolution is how many radians? Divide that number by 0.5 sec

RTW69 said:
Remember that ac=r*ω2 you have r you need to find ω, the angular velocity. The units are radians/sec. The stone makes 1 revolution in .5 seconds. 1 revolution is how many radians? Divide that number by 0.5 sec

I got it, thanks!

RTW69 said:

I'm doing the d right now...
found that r= 0,015m
w = 0,349 rad/s
and used the equation:
ac=r*ω2
and got ac= 0,0018

then divided it by 9,8... and got 1,84 x10^-4g... when the right answer should just be 1,87g
HELP?

Last edited:
radius is not .015m
ω is not .349 rad/s
Recheck these values and recalculate

What does it mean for a car to "curve at a radius of 50m"?

When a car curves at a radius of 50m, it means that the car is following a circular path with a radius of 50 meters. This is also known as a turn or a bend in the road.

What is the significance of a 50m radius in car curves?

A 50m radius is significant because it determines the tightness of the curve that the car is making. A smaller radius means a tighter curve, while a larger radius means a more gradual curve.

How does a car's speed affect its ability to make a curve at a 50m radius?

The faster a car is travelling, the more difficult it is for the car to make a curve at a 50m radius. Higher speeds require more force to maintain the circular motion, making it harder for the car to stay within the curve.

Why is it important to consider a car's speed and radius when making a curve?

It is important to consider a car's speed and radius when making a curve because it affects the car's ability to safely navigate the curve. If the speed is too high or the radius is too tight, the car may lose control and crash.

What factors besides speed and radius can affect a car's ability to make a curve?

Other factors that can affect a car's ability to make a curve include the car's weight, tire traction, and road conditions. These factors can impact the car's ability to maintain the necessary force to stay within the curve.