Car Driving At A Constant Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity and its relation to Einstein's theories. It is explained that velocity is a vector and can change when the direction changes, but speed may remain constant. The idea of frames of reference is also brought up. Examples are given to demonstrate the difference between velocity and distance. The conversation concludes by suggesting the need for a basic understanding of physics and mathematics before diving into Einstein's theories.
Isabella Wang
Hey guys,
This might sound like a simple question, but I'm just starting to look in depth into Einstein's theories. I'm confused on the question about a car driving at a constant speed o 65 mph northwards. If it changes it direction to drive northeast, it then loses some speed. How is this possible if it is always driving at the same speed? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isabella Wang said:
This might sound like a simple question, but I'm just starting to look in depth into Einstein's theories. I'm confused on the question about a car driving at a constant speed o 65 mph northwards. If it changes it direction to drive northeast, it then loses some speed. How is this possible if it is always driving at the same speed? Thanks!

i think you have traveled in a car and must have taken turn keeping your speed constant - but driver slows down at the turn and speeds up again to maintain his speed/or
there are signs at the turn-drive slowly bend ahead.
so what is happening?
and how this motion relates to Einstein?

Isabella Wang said:
Hey guys,
It isn't. If it's moving at the same speed, it's moving at the same speed.

Note that there is a difference between speed and velocity. Velocity is a vector whose magnitude is the speed - so velocity is speed in a direction. The velocity changes when the direction changes (in this case the component of velocity in the northward direction decreases), but the speed might not.

Edit: if I misunderstood your question, I apologise, but if you aren't comfortable with vectors I think you are going to have some serious problems understanding relativity in depth. I'd suggest taking a look at a lower level physics and maths course or book first.

It's all a matter of what you stipulate. If you stipulate that its speed is constant then it doesn't slow down, if you stipulate that it slows it slows. Is this about velocities and directions?

Is this a frame of reference question?

1) If I drove my car for half an hour at 65mph north, then I drove North/East at 65mph for half an hour, what distance would I have covered in an hour?

2) If my mate drove his car at 65mph for an hour north, what distance would he have covered?

So what exactly are you reading about Einstein? - I believe the point of the discussion is about relative to what point of observation.

1. What is considered a constant speed while driving a car?

A constant speed while driving a car refers to maintaining a steady velocity without any fluctuations or changes for a period of time. This means the car maintains the same speed without accelerating or decelerating.

2. How do you maintain a constant speed while driving a car?

To maintain a constant speed while driving a car, the driver must keep their foot on the accelerator pedal at a consistent position, while also paying attention to the road and making any necessary adjustments to the speed. Some cars also have cruise control features that can help maintain a constant speed.

3. Is it safe to drive at a constant speed for long periods of time?

Driving at a constant speed can actually be safer than constantly changing speeds. It allows for better control of the vehicle and reduces the risk of sudden movements or accidents. However, it is important to take breaks and rest when necessary to avoid fatigue while driving.

4. Does driving at a constant speed save gas?

Yes, driving at a constant speed can help save gas. Constantly accelerating and decelerating uses more fuel than maintaining a steady speed. This is because the car's engine uses more energy to accelerate and less energy to maintain a consistent speed.

5. Can driving at a constant speed improve fuel efficiency?

Yes, driving at a constant speed can improve fuel efficiency. This is because the car's engine is not working as hard to maintain a steady speed, which means it uses less fuel. In fact, driving at a constant speed on the highway can often lead to better fuel efficiency than city driving with frequent stops and starts.