Speed of Light: Questions Answered

In summary: Would you like me to summarize the rest of the conversation?In summary, the speed of light is constant for every observer in all possible inertial frames of reference. This was discovered through experiments and is a fact in the data.
king123
TL;DR Summary
About the manifestation speed of light?
Yess! speed of light it's driving me crazy. I know it might sound too noob and silly but please enlighten me, First of all how does we concluded that speed of light is constant for every observer in all possible inertial frames of reference. Next thing how come a photon doesn't experience time,if I assumed and considered it as an event of emission and absorption of a single photon(I heard about the relativistic effects on different observers ,does that means that photon can't possibly know that it's been emitted and absorbed),as far as I know events are generally based on time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
king123 said:
Summary:: About the manifestation speed of light?

First of all how does we concluded that speed of light is constant for every observer in all possible inertial frames of reference
Basically we built experiments of many different designs that were designed to measure the change in the speed of light in different reference frames. They all came back with the same constant with no change in different frames. It isn't something that we just invented, it was a fact in the data that we had to adapt our theories to include.

king123 said:
First of all how does we concluded that speed of light is constant for every observer in all possible inertial frames of reference.
There is a ton of experimental evidence, starting with the Michelson-Morley experiment in the late 19th century. Some of this evidence is described in the sticky thread at the top of this forum on experimental evidence for relativity.

Even before this experiment, nature had already given us a big hint that the speed of light might well behave that way. James Maxwell was able to calculate the speed of light from the laws of electricity and magnetism in 1865. Those laws are the same in all inertial frames (you don’t observe any differences in how electricity works between noon and midnight even though the rotation of the Earth is changing your speed in every inertial frame) so the the speed of light ought to be as well. Indeed, the disconnect between this prediction of E&M and the commonsense expectation that the speed of light would be not be the same in all inertial frames (all other speeds behave that way) was the great unsolved problem of 19th century physics, until Einstein discovered special relativity. There’s much discussion in many older threads here.
Next thing how come a photon doesn't experience time,
That’s just plain incorrect, although the misunderstanding is so common that we have a FAQ about it.

Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
That’s just plain incorrect, although the misunderstanding is so common that we have a FAQ about it.
Can you please provide me an insight about why it's incorrect, because if it's incorrect I want to know why? To make myself clear

king123 said:
Can you please provide me an insight about why it's incorrect, because if it's incorrect I want to know why? To make myself clear
Someone will post up a link to the FAQ in a moment and we have many older threads on the subject (like I said, it’s a common misunderstanding).

My quick answer is that you got that “time doesn’t pass for a photon” result by plugging ##v=c## into the time dilation equation and seeing infinite time dilation come out. However, the time dilation formula only works between things that are at rest in different inertial frames - and there is no inertial frame in which light is at rest. The infinite time dilation result is just another division by zero error, the way the math tells you that you’ve made a mistake.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Who discovered the speed of light?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676. However, the concept of the speed of light as a physical constant was established by Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

3. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using various methods, such as timing the speed of light in a vacuum or measuring the time it takes for light to travel a known distance. The most accurate measurement to date was achieved using a technique called the "laser interferometer method".

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is considered a fundamental law of the universe and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.

5. How does the speed of light affect our daily lives?

The speed of light has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it is the basis for many modern technologies such as telecommunications, satellite navigation, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.