Car Hazard lights turning on by itself

In summary, a 2001 Honda CRV car hazard light turned on by itself last night. The car couldn't start, so the owner connected the jumper and asked the question in another thread. Has anyone ever experienced this before, hazard lights turning on by themselves?
lucas_
Last night about 2am (checked cctv). The 2001 honda crv car hazard light suddenly turned on in the parking (its that button at the middle above the aircon). When i found out at 7am. The car couldn't start so i connected the jumper, hence asking the question in another thread. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this, hazard lights turning on by itself? It was locked. I need to gently push the button to turn it off. I got it checked at factory. No problem with electrical or button.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A short circuit in the electrical system can cause any component to be improperly energized. That includes lights.

If the short is intermittent, it can be very difficult to locate because the problem may not be reproduced at the repair shop.

The wife has a 2016 Ford escape 1.6 that had a similar problem. I drove her from Abilene, Texas to Ft. Worth for a doctor's appointment. The 4-way flashers came on just for a moment...maybe 10 flashes, before going off. I had hit nothing accidentally. After maybe 50 miles, it happened again for maybe 6 to 7 flashes. I am an ASE mechanic and a 20 year TV repairman with a diploma from Elkins Institute in Dallas for electronics repair. The button her car is on the dash and works fine when pressed. This happened only those two times that I know of. NO IDEA except maybe dust, moisture, or WWII aviation gremlin's.

My car started up spontaneously in my driveway one night at 3AM!

(I'd had a remote starter installed.)

I've also had the TV in my bedroom turn on spontaneously. This one coincided with a streetcar going by (about 100 feet from my bedroom window). I assume a spark from the overhead power system mimicked the power signal from the remote.

Low power electronics employs high impedance circuits that are more susceptible to EMI than well designed circuits. The plastic surrounds offer minimal protection from EMI. Where a momentary press button is used to toggle the state of a flag bit in a CMOS microcontroller, the device can be activated and deactivated by repeated EMI. Parallel copper tracks on a plastic film make a better antenna than does a twisted pair.

Don't park near RF power transmitters on the top of a cold windswept mountains, unless you want to be locked out of your vehicle.

An aircraft carrier visited and anchored out in the bay. The VHF synthetic aperture radar continued to operate, while RC garage doors throughout town opened, or closed, or became deaf.

1. Why do my car hazard lights turn on by themselves?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. One possibility is a malfunction in the hazard light switch, which may be stuck in the "on" position. Another possibility is a short circuit in the wiring, which can cause the hazard lights to turn on without any input from the driver. It's also possible that there is an issue with the car's computer system, which may be sending a signal to turn on the hazard lights. It's best to have a mechanic diagnose and fix the issue to prevent any potential safety hazards.

2. Can I drive with my hazard lights on?

No, it is not safe to drive with your hazard lights on. Hazard lights are meant to be used when your vehicle is stopped or disabled on the side of the road, as a warning to other drivers. Driving with your hazard lights on can be confusing to other drivers and may even be illegal in some areas. If your hazard lights are turning on by themselves while you are driving, it's important to address the issue as soon as possible.

3. How can I turn off my hazard lights if they are stuck on?

If your hazard lights are stuck on, the first step is to try turning the switch off and on again. If that doesn't work, you may need to disconnect the battery to reset the car's computer system. If the problem persists, it's best to take your car to a mechanic for further diagnosis and repair.

4. Are there any safety concerns with my hazard lights turning on by themselves?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns with your hazard lights turning on by themselves. The most immediate concern is that other drivers may become confused or distracted by the flashing lights, which can increase the risk of accidents. Additionally, if the issue is caused by a short circuit, it could potentially lead to a fire. It's important to address this issue as soon as possible to ensure the safety of yourself and other drivers on the road.

5. How much does it cost to fix a problem with my hazard lights turning on by themselves?

The cost of fixing this issue can vary depending on the cause of the problem and the make and model of your car. If the issue is a simple fix, such as a faulty switch, it may be relatively inexpensive. However, if the problem is more complex, such as a wiring issue, it may be more costly. It's best to consult with a mechanic for an accurate estimate of the cost to fix your specific issue.