Car vac (100W) vs Home Vac (1000W)....

• Automotive
  • Thread starter escape_velocity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Home
In summary, car vacs are less powerful than home vacs, but they are still able to pick up dirt. The size of the inlet is a big factor for performance.
escape_velocity
A typical home vacuum cleaner has the following specs
Input watts (Electrical) = 1000W
Suction = 80 inch H2O
Output watts = 100 air watts

where as a 12V car vacuum cleaner has
Input watts (Electrical) = 100W
Suction = unspecified (10 inch guesswork)
output watts = unspecified (10 air watts guesswork)

car vac manufacturers don't publish output air watts or suction so let's say we guess it to the above figures.
The fact is even at such low suctions car vacs still do sell and people use them.

But what I don't understand is given that there is such a huge difference in specs how does a car vac even pull in dirt, is 10 inch of water capable to generate enough suction power, or are car vacs actually generating higher suctions than my initial guess which I don't see how they could given that the input power is so low?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The size of the inlet is a big factor for performance.

Have you ever used a car vac? It demonstrably picks up dirt.

Since the application is smaller, the lower suction is less noticeable.

jerromyjon said:
The size of the inlet is a big factor for performance.
I guess you are saying that a car vac would have a smaller inlet than a home vac but I don't have any idea how that help's here?o_O

escape_velocity said:
I guess you are saying that a car vac would have a smaller inlet than a home vac but I don't have any idea how that help's here?o_O
They could have the same flow velocity and suction if the nozzles are sized appropriately. Less power doesn't necessarily mean less suction.

I'm pretty sure Bernoulli's Principle applies but I don't know how to apply it with a vacuum,

jerromyjon said:
I'm pretty sure Bernoulli's Principle applies but I don't know how to apply it with a vacuum...
I'm not quite sure I understand your issue, but could you just assume there is no such thing as a vacuum and apply it then?

1. What is the difference in power between a car vac (100W) and a home vac (1000W)?

The main difference between a car vac and a home vac is their power output. A car vac typically has a power output of 100 watts, while a home vac has a power output of 1000 watts. This means that the home vac is much more powerful and can pick up larger debris and dirt particles.

2. Can a car vac be used inside a house instead of a home vac?

While a car vac may seem like a convenient option for cleaning inside a house, it is not recommended. The lower power output of a car vac means it may not be strong enough to effectively clean larger areas or pick up heavier debris. It is best to use a home vac for interior cleaning tasks.

3. Is a car vac more energy-efficient than a home vac?

Generally, a car vac will be more energy-efficient than a home vac due to its lower power output. However, this also means that it may take longer to clean a larger area with a car vac compared to a home vac. So, while a car vac may use less energy, it may not be as efficient for cleaning larger spaces.

4. Are there any specific features that differ between a car vac and a home vac?

Aside from power output, there are some other differences in features between a car vac and a home vac. Car vacuums are typically smaller and more compact, making them easier to store in a vehicle. They may also come with attachments specifically designed for cleaning car interiors. Home vacuums, on the other hand, may have larger dust capacities and more attachments for cleaning various surfaces within a home.

5. Can a car vac be plugged into a home outlet and used as a home vac?

No, a car vac should not be plugged into a home outlet and used as a home vac. Car vacuums are designed to be used with a car's 12-volt DC outlet and may not be compatible with a standard home outlet. Additionally, the lower power output of a car vac may not be sufficient for cleaning larger areas or heavier debris found in a home.