Card-drawing probability problem

• B
  • Thread starter Kavorka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of getting the ace, king and queen of any suit with 26 picks is 0.40608587.
Kavorka
I've been trying how to figure out how to figure out the probability of different situations in card-choosing, and I am having trouble getting my head around how to approach this:

Let's say we have two people drawing 26 of the 52 cards in a deck. What is the probability that either team has the Ace, King and Queen of one particular suit?

If you were picking 3 cards it would be simple to find the numerator of the probability ratio: 12/52*1/51*1/50. If you were trying to just get any ace, king and queen it would be a simple combination in the numerator, but in this case where you have a situation constraint as well as many picks I'm not sure how to approach this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
Let's say we have two people drawing 26 of the 52 cards in a deck. What is the probability that either team has the Ace, King and Queen of one particular suit?
Do you mean a particular suit, like "what's the probability that either team has the Ace, King and Queen of Spades", or do you mean just the probabilty that they are of any suit (but all of the same suit)?

Heinera said:
Do you mean a particular suit, like "what's the probability that either team has the Ace, King and Queen of Spades", or do you mean just the probabilty that they are of any suit (but all of the same suit)?

The second one, basically the chance of picking the ace, king and queen of any suit with 26 picks.

It sounds like you are asking, after each team has picked 26 cards, that for any suit, A,K & Q of that suit are not in the same half pack. Is that right?

If so (and maybe in other ways of analysing it) you can start back to front with the idea that each card has a 0.5 chance of being in either half pack.
So p(A, K & Q of spades are all in my hand) would be (1/2)3
Etc.

So how would you find the combined chance that in picking half the pack you end up with the A,K,Q of 1 or more suits? It seems that with 26 picks the chance would be decent, I asked on another forum and someone said they found 20.71% but didn't explain how

You can use the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion. Define

A = the event that you get A,K,Q of spades
B = the event that you get A,K,Q of hearts
C = the event that you get A,K,Q of diamonds
D = the event that you get A,K,Q of clubs

then

[tex]P(A \cup B \cup C \cup D) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) + P(D) - P(A \cap B) - P(A \cap C) - P(A \cap D) - P(B \cap C) - P(B \cap D) - P(C \cap D) + P(A \cap B \cap C) + P(A \cap B \cap D) + P(A \cap C \cap D) + P(B \cap C \cap D) - P(A \cap B \cap C \cap D)[/tex]

[tex] = 4 * \frac{C^{26}_3}{C^{52}_3} - 6 * \frac{C^{26}_6}{C^{52}_6} + 4 * \frac{C^{26}_9}{C^{52}_9} - \frac{C^{26}_{12}}{C^{52}_{12}}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{56058703}{138046426} \approx 0.40608587[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Kavorka
I'm not sure I can work out where all the terms of your expression come from, but it does show I am not correct with my simplistic p=1/2 for the location of each card, because you can't end up with more (or less) than 26 cards in each hand. After putting the ace of spades, say, in one hand, the chances of the king of spades ending up in the same hand is slightly less than 1/2.
So I think the combinations approach must be needed.

1. What is a card-drawing probability problem?

A card-drawing probability problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the likelihood of drawing a certain card or combination of cards from a deck. It is commonly used in probability and statistics to test and improve problem-solving skills.

2. How do you approach solving a card-drawing probability problem?

The first step in solving a card-drawing probability problem is to identify the total number of cards in the deck and the number of cards needed for the desired outcome. Then, use basic probability rules to calculate the likelihood of drawing the desired cards. It is also helpful to draw a tree diagram or use a probability table to visualize the different outcomes.

3. What is the difference between with replacement and without replacement in a card-drawing probability problem?

With replacement means that each time a card is drawn, it is returned to the deck before the next draw. This means that each draw is independent and the probabilities remain the same for each draw. Without replacement means that once a card is drawn, it is not returned to the deck, resulting in changing probabilities for each subsequent draw.

4. Can you provide an example of a card-drawing probability problem?

Sure, for example, if you have a standard deck of 52 cards and you want to calculate the probability of drawing a red card from the deck, you would first need to determine the number of red cards in the deck (26). Then, you divide the number of red cards by the total number of cards (26/52) to get a probability of 0.5 or 50%.

5. How are card-drawing probability problems used in real life?

Card-drawing probability problems can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as gambling and games of chance. They are also commonly used in statistics and data analysis to make predictions and decisions based on probabilities. Additionally, they can be used in fields such as finance and economics to estimate the likelihood of certain outcomes in investments and business decisions.