Career choices after a physics PhD?

In summary, After completing a PhD in physics, the speaker is unsure about their future career plans. They are considering staying in science but also exploring other options. They are seeking advice and experiences from others who have made similar decisions. Some possible career paths discussed include software development, IT, and management consulting. The speaker is also concerned about the value of their PhD in non-academic fields.
Elise
Dear all,

I am currently a physics PhD student and will finish my PhD at a quite respectable university (top 25 in world rankings) soon. Therefore I have to think about my plans for after my PhD.
And here comes the difficulty. I don’t really know what I should do (actually I really don't know what I should do).

When I was in school I decided to study physics because I was interested in science and was told that with a physics degree one has also good changes to find a job in another field (now I am not so sure anymore if this is true). I decided to do a PhD in condensed matter physics after completing my undergrad studies, since I was sincerely interested in my field and I looked forward to the challenge of a longer research project.

So this is nearly done now. And I have to decide what to do now.
I am not even sure if I should stay in science. I love the constant puzzles, be they small and unimportant, I can solve with my research. But on the other hand my work seems often quite unimportant to me (because it is fundamental science). And I am not sure if I want to do this all my life.
But I am also not sure which other ways are open for me and, most importantly, if I would like them more. Actually at the moment I am spending too much time surfing on the internet reading about possible careers for physicists :frown: But most jobs I see require a BSc or MSc and I don’t want my PhD go to total waste. Also I don’t want to do programming as a main occupation and this seems to rule out quite a lot.

What are your experiences? Did some of you change their field after their PhD or leave science at all? And what are you doing now and what are your experiences? How did you find out what was right for you?

Thanks for you help already in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I stopped at a Masters, so don't have relevant experience. I hope those who do offer their thoughts.

In the meantime , search for posts by ParticleGrl and Twofish-quant for some relevant examples.

Elise said:
Dear all,

When I was in school I decided to study physics because I was interested in science and was told that with a physics degree one has also good changes to find a job in another field (now I am not so sure anymore if this is true).

I think it depends on what one means by this. If one means: people that have the ability to get a physics degree likely have the ability to do well in jobs outside of physics. Then I think it’s true. If one means: the specific things one learns while studying physics are useful for jobs in other fields. Then I think it’s false, I’m not saying no other fields at all, just not many.

I left physics after a PhD to write software (which I had no background in), so I don’t have much specific experience that would be useful for you. In general, if you pursue jobs outside of physics, it might be that just getting your foot in the door is the most difficult part, or at least it’s the part that you have the least control over. So don’t get discouraged if it takes awhile.

Hi Elise,

I have also done a PhD in applied condensed matter physics - superconductors and laser physics. After a stint in a large research lab, doing contract research for steel industry, I transitioned to IT: I was not so much a programmer but did IT support, training, consulting, finally also IT management, but then went back to more technical work and specialized in a niche in IT security.

This was 15 years ago, and I think it was easier back then as employers and clients today are more interested in formal credentials in computer science / engineering. I had none - my PhD wasn't even extremely computational or IT-heavy. I would not have needed a PhD in physics, or actually any degree at all to do those jobs if I make the typical - clichéd but existing - self-educated hacker my role model.

Though I was a technical consultant and more of a firefighter (a job role often called "field engineer") the career track I am a bit familiar with is that of a management consultant - not an uncommon option for physics graduates. Typically, you would be employed by a large consultancy and work onsite with their clients - large enterprise customers. So the downside is that you are traveling a lot, and this is the sort of job you only want to do for some years.

You would work with clients on their "business processes". This is either really as vague as it sounds; consultants have their infamous reputation for just presenting slick PowerPoint slides for a reason. On the other hand there are consulting roles somewhere in between high-level stuff / management and working on technology ("software architect" and the like). Above all you could specialize in a specific industry sector.

A typical career as a consultant starts with embarking on a trainee program run by large consultancies (google e.g. for Accenture's and McKinsey's programs).

On a personal note - as you mention you don't want a job that requires "only" a bachelor or master's degree: I found that difficult to overcome, too, in particular as so much people said that to me. Today I don't care at all about that and I can relate to much more that the community of self-educated hackers who aren't interested in degrees but only in the skills you can demonstrate in front of them.

Likes 1 person

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand the uncertainty and confusion that comes with deciding what to do after completing a PhD in physics. It can be overwhelming to think about the endless possibilities and the pressure of making the "right" decision. But I want to assure you that your PhD is not going to waste, no matter what career path you choose.

Firstly, it's important to acknowledge that a PhD in physics is a valuable and highly respected degree. It demonstrates your ability to think critically, problem solve, and conduct independent research - skills that are highly sought after in many industries. So even if you decide to leave academia, your PhD will still be a valuable asset on your resume.

In terms of career options, there are actually many paths you can take with a physics PhD. You mentioned that you don't want to do programming as a main occupation, but there are many other fields that value strong analytical and problem-solving skills, such as data science, finance, and consulting. You could also consider teaching, science communication, or government work. It's important to do some research and explore your options to find a career that aligns with your interests and values.

I also want to encourage you to not discount the importance and impact of fundamental science. While it may not always have immediate practical applications, it is the foundation for future discoveries and advancements. And who knows, your research could lead to something groundbreaking in the future.

In terms of finding what is right for you, I suggest reaching out to your network of colleagues, professors, and mentors for advice and guidance. They may have valuable insights and connections that could help you in your career search. You can also attend career fairs, workshops, and informational interviews to learn more about different industries and job opportunities.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to not rush into any decision and to take the time to really think about what you want for your future. Your PhD has equipped you with valuable skills and knowledge, and I have no doubt that you will find success and fulfillment in whatever path you choose. Best of luck!

1. What career options are available for someone with a physics PhD?

There are a variety of career options available for someone with a physics PhD. Some common paths include academia, industry research and development, government research, science policy, and consulting. Many physics PhDs also go on to work in fields such as data science, finance, and engineering.

2. Is it necessary to stay in academia after obtaining a physics PhD?

No, it is not necessary to stay in academia after obtaining a physics PhD. While many PhD programs are geared towards preparing students for academic careers, there are a variety of other career options available. It is important to explore your interests and career goals to determine the best path for you.

3. How can a physics PhD be beneficial in a non-physics related career?

A physics PhD can be beneficial in a non-physics related career in several ways. The skills acquired during a PhD program, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, are highly transferable and can be applied to a wide range of industries and positions. Additionally, the prestige and rigor of a PhD can make you a competitive candidate for jobs in various fields.

4. Are there opportunities for professional growth and advancement with a physics PhD?

Yes, there are opportunities for professional growth and advancement with a physics PhD. In addition to traditional research and teaching positions, many PhDs go on to become managers, leaders, and entrepreneurs in their respective fields. Continuous learning and networking are key to advancing in any career, and a physics PhD can provide a strong foundation for these activities.

5. How can I prepare for a career after a physics PhD?

To prepare for a career after a physics PhD, it is important to gain a diverse set of skills and experiences. This can include participating in internships, attending conferences and workshops, and networking with professionals in various industries. It is also important to develop strong communication and presentation skills, as well as the ability to adapt to new challenges and environments.