Career/EIT guidance and advice

• Thread starter irchrisr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary: If you are not in CA, I recommend going the ME route. If you are in TX, I recommend going the IE route. If you are not in TX, I recommend going the Civil route. If you are undecided, I recommend taking the ME route. In summary, it depends on your career goals, what state you are in, and what kind of license you are seeking.
irchrisr
After doing hours of research I have decided to just post my question.

I am about to enter my senior year of my engineering program. My major is Engineering Science with a specialty in project management. I currently work for a civil engineering and surveying company family company. Most of the work I do falls under surveying. I really enjoy the balance of management and engineering that my major focuses on but I also want to become a professional engineer. Being in my senior yeah its time for me to start studying for my EIT. This is where my dilemma comes into play. I have experience in the civil portion and I am now starting to move into the designing of projects. I have also taken project management courses and operations research along with electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. One of my professors has stated that we are pretty well prepared for the ME exam. My question is which test should I take for the best job outlook.

I was leaning towards industrial but after all the trash talk on it and how worthless a PE is in that discipline. I'm not so sure now. I feel like I could take the following versions; EE, Civil, IE, ME. I just don't know which one I should go with. To be clear I love my management classes and industrial classes.
Thank you for all of your time.
-Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
As usual, the answer is "it depends." For what, exactly, do you want a P.E. license? What do you think you would do with it, if you had it?

Having a P.E. license is necessary if you want to be in charge of design of projects that affect human welfare and the like. This is mostly the domain of CE, ME, & EE. And only necessary if you choose that path, which will likely land you in design firms. That's 'design & design supervision', not necessarily management.

I got my P.E. in ME almost thirty years ago. My career trajectory took me into manufacturing, machine design, & automation/robotics. I have never had the need to affix my stamp to any drawing. But I keep it up to date with inactive status because it proves that I was able to meet all of the prerequisite requirements and pass that test (although 30 years ago). Most folks don't take it, and never need it. My jobs never needed it, but it was useful to put on business cards and resumes. Having it has opened a few door along the way.

If you are in CA, I recommend going the CE route.

1. What is EIT and how can it benefit my career?

EIT stands for Engineer in Training, and it is a professional designation for recent engineering graduates or those with equivalent work experience. Becoming an EIT is the first step towards becoming a licensed Professional Engineer. This designation can help boost your career by demonstrating your commitment to the engineering field and your ability to meet certain standards of competency and ethical behavior.

2. How do I know if a career in engineering is right for me?

A career in engineering requires strong technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and a passion for innovation. If you enjoy math, science, and have a curious and analytical mind, engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also important to research different engineering fields to see which aligns with your interests and strengths.

3. What is the best way to prepare for the EIT exam?

To prepare for the EIT exam, it is important to review the fundamentals of engineering, such as math, physics, and chemistry. You can also take practice exams and study materials provided by professional engineering organizations. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the exam.

4. Are there any resources available for EIT career development?

Yes, there are many resources available for EIT career development, such as professional engineering organizations, career fairs, and networking events. You can also seek mentorship from experienced engineers and participate in internships or co-op programs to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest.

5. How can I advance my career as an EIT?

To advance your career as an EIT, it is important to continue learning and gaining experience in your field. You can also pursue higher education, such as a master's degree or a Professional Engineer (PE) license. Networking and building relationships with other professionals in your field can also open up opportunities for career advancement.