Career in cuprate high temperature superconductor physics

In summary, the topic of cuprate high temperature superconductors is not outdated, but it may be considered a narrow and confining research area. It is important to recognize the larger field of strongly-correlated electron systems within condensed matter physics and not limit oneself to a specific topic. The skills and techniques learned in experimental work can be applied to various materials and may lead to broader career opportunities in the field of physics.
pangru
Hello,

I am interested in physics of cuprate high temperature superconductors (Cuprate_SC)

However, I heard that it is "out-of-dated" topic in solid state physics and almost impossible to find group/foundation to do research in this field.

I am doing PhD right now and I consider moving towards cuprates (experimental).
With your experience, is it really closed topic already or there is still some interest in the field into scientific community?

Definitely, there are some groups working on it, but with my observation its more like an inertia from 90s.
How would you see the future of this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pangru said:
Hello,

I am interested in physics of cuprate high temperature superconductors (Cuprate_SC)

However, I heard that it is "out-of-dated" topic in solid state physics and almost impossible to find group/foundation to do research in this field.

I am doing PhD right now and I consider moving towards cuprates (experimental).
With your experience, is it really closed topic already or there is still some interest in the field into scientific community?

Definitely, there are some groups working on it, but with my observation its more like an inertia from 90s.
How would you see the future of this topic?

The problem here isn't whether the topic is out of date. The problem here is that your goal is extremely NARROW AND CONFINING.

The cuprates are part of a wider studies of strongly-correlated electron systems within condensed matter physics. Rather than having a very narrow vision of the topic, you need to realize the larger area where it is relevant. We have already seen how BEC systems smoothly merges to the BCS systems via the work of the late Deborah Jin. So you should never handicap yourself by aiming for such a narrow goal!

Furthermore, the experimental techniques that you learn are often independent of the material being cuprates. There is a good chance that your career will not be on that topic, but rather due to the skills you gathered through your experimental work.

It is already a challenge to work in the field of physics. Don't lower your chances by aiming for such a very narrow goal.

Zz.

Likes pangru and Vanadium 50

1. What is cuprate high temperature superconductor physics?

Cuprate high temperature superconductor physics is a field of study that focuses on the properties and behavior of a class of materials known as cuprate superconductors. These materials exhibit the phenomenon of superconductivity at relatively high temperatures, making them potential candidates for practical applications such as energy transmission and storage.

2. What is the significance of studying cuprate high temperature superconductor physics?

The study of cuprate high temperature superconductor physics has the potential to unlock new discoveries and advancements in the field of superconductivity. By understanding the underlying mechanisms of these materials, scientists can develop new and improved superconductors that can operate at even higher temperatures, making them more practical for real-world applications.

3. What are some potential career paths in cuprate high temperature superconductor physics?

Some potential career paths in this field include research and development in both academic and industrial settings, as well as engineering and manufacturing roles in companies that produce superconducting materials and devices. Other opportunities may include teaching at the university level or working for government agencies involved in scientific research.

4. What skills and qualifications are necessary for a career in cuprate high temperature superconductor physics?

A strong foundation in physics, particularly in condensed matter physics and quantum mechanics, is essential for a career in cuprate high temperature superconductor physics. Additionally, skills in experimental techniques, data analysis, and computational modeling are also important. A graduate degree, such as a Master's or Ph.D., is typically required for higher-level positions in this field.

5. What are some recent advancements in cuprate high temperature superconductor physics?

Recent advancements in this field include the discovery of new cuprate superconductors with even higher critical temperatures, as well as the development of new methods for synthesizing and characterizing these materials. Additionally, scientists have been able to manipulate the physical properties of cuprate superconductors, leading to new insights into their behavior and potential applications.