Career Options for Physics-Loving Non-Scholarly 30-Year-Olds

In summary: All of these questions would help us to give you better advice. In summary, if you have a affinity for physics, and you have not been successful in school, you may want to consider a career in retail sales.
Puriel99
hi everyone, I am 30 years old and always had a affinity for physics. i was wondering since i was never any good at school, what career options would you recomend.

Physics news on Phys.org
Puriel99 said:
what career options would you recomend
Are you asking in general or for a physics career path? The first must be dependent on what you are interested in, the second is unlikely to come to fruition without a formal physics education.

Puriel99 said:
hi everyone, I am 30 years old and always had a affinity for physics. i was wondering since i was never any good at school, what career options would you recomend.

What is the general nature of your "never any good with school" issue? Maybe when you were 17 your attention and concentration were insufficient? If it's the case you can focus more now, it is possible you could complete some sort of college degree. If that is the line you are on, maybe you should check out some sort of intro level thing like opening a physics text and seeing if you can absorb it.

If your issue was one of aptitude, chances are it didn't get better on its own. If you still are just not good at learning this material, it could be a big road block.

How about your technical skills? Are you good with tools? Can you read a blue print? Have you built things? Anything from buildings (houses, apartments, factories, etc.) to cars to electronics. There's lots of room for technical work in labs and universities. Though even there, being able to absorb some scientific material is a big help.

How are your "people skills?" Can you get people to agree to do stuff? Can you remember what everybody is supposed to be doing? One of the guys in our company has a technician background. He is good with electronics and mechanical objects. He customizes and races rally cars, for example. But he is also good with people. So he has lately become a project lead on several technical projects. He leads a team of techs that put together the tools and equipment that a professional engineer designs. Then they take it to the nuclear station and deploy it.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Puriel99 said:
Can you share what kinds of work experience you do have so far? If you'd prefer not to, that's okay.

Do you have a community college near you? If so, do any of their AA degree tracks look interesting and lead to jobs that you would like to pursue? For example, if they offer an AA in electronics degree, that can lead to an Electronics Technician job, which may be very interesting for you, and can lead to other careers in electronics (including EE -- I know several Electronics Technicians who have added later course work and gotten their EE degrees).

The CC likely has other AA degrees available that can lead you into careers in more mechanical or chemistry or other lines of work. CCs are relatively inexpensive, and going to a real school like that can keep you on track, as opposed to trying to use self-learning to make it to your next career in life.

Best of luck whatever track you choose. :smile:

Sad fact that many career paths depend more on academic accomplishments than actual ability, since many employers use academic progress (degree, GPA) as a proxy for ability.

There are some paths that emphasize academic less than others. But to give advice, we should know what we are trying to polish here.

I would recommend retail sales. It's the most common job in the US.

If you think I needed to include more information in this recommendation beyond just "most common job", you should provide it.

Puriel99 said:

First of all, I think it's important that you should tell us more about yourself and what your actual level of education is.

You say you have an affinity for physics, and that you were never any good at school. Do you mean you were not good at elementary or high school? Did you study at college/university? Community college?

Where are you from? What are you doing now?

What are some career options for someone who loves physics but is not a scholar and is 30 years old?

Some career options for physics-loving non-scholarly 30-year-olds include becoming a science writer or journalist, working in science communication or outreach, pursuing a career in patent law or intellectual property, working in technical sales or consulting, or transitioning into a related field such as data analysis or engineering.

Can someone without a formal education in physics still have a successful career in the field?

Yes, while a formal education in physics can provide a strong foundation for a career in the field, there are many opportunities for those without a degree to still have a successful career in physics-related fields. Many employers value skills and experience over formal education, and there are also options for continuing education and professional development in the field.

Are there any opportunities for a 30-year-old to enter the field of physics without starting from scratch?

Yes, there are opportunities for 30-year-olds to enter the field of physics without starting from scratch. For example, someone with a background in a related field such as engineering or mathematics could pursue a graduate degree in physics or a physics-related field. There are also options for short-term certificate programs or online courses to gain additional skills and knowledge.

What skills and qualities are important for someone pursuing a career in physics?

Some important skills and qualities for a career in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, curiosity, and the ability to communicate complex ideas to others. It is also important to have a strong interest and passion for physics and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and advancements in the field.

Are there any networking or mentorship opportunities for non-scholarly adults interested in physics?

Yes, there are networking and mentorship opportunities for non-scholarly adults interested in physics. Some organizations, such as the American Physical Society, offer mentorship programs for adults interested in physics careers. Attending conferences, workshops, and other events related to physics can also provide opportunities to network with professionals in the field and learn from their experiences.