Career Research Project: Physics and Questions for a Physicist

In summary, a student from Canyon High School is looking for a physicist to answer questions about the career. They are interested in the required education, salary, job satisfaction, daily responsibilities, necessary qualities, and potential travel for the job. They have been asked to gather this information through interviews, but have not been successful and are now seeking help through email.
pseudogenius
Hello, I am a student at Canyon High School and have been assigned to research a career in a science field. I am very interested in physics, so I am looking for any physicist who has some time to answer the following questions. I must also ask that you please send your answers to my email address. I will appreciate any help. Thanks.

1. How many years of school/what degree do you need to have/internship or field work?

2. How much $ do you make?

3. Do you like the job?

4. Best/worst about job.

5. Hours? Vacation?

6. Why did you select this profession?

7. What are your day to day responsibilities?

8. What classes in high school and GPA did you need to have?

9. What qualities does a person need to have in order to be successful at this job?

10. Do you need to travel for your job?

11. What college(s) did you go to?

12. If you didn't go into physics, what other field would you have gone into?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been asked specifically to survey working physics graduates or have you been asked to find the answers to these questions out yourself?

The answers to all of the objective questions you've asked are available through one means or another on the internet. There are careers databases to answer the salary/qualifications questions - likewise you can get this info from employer websites.

i had to do a similar thing at my school- and it was interviewing a person about his job.

fasterthanjoao, I have been specifically asked to survey working physicists with the following questions. The three options I have been given to do this is to interview in person,over the phone, or through email. Since I have not been able to get anybody in person or over the phone, I was hoping that there would be somebody here that could help.

As a physicist, I am happy to assist you in your career research project. To answer your questions:

1. To become a physicist, you typically need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a master's degree and/or a PhD. Internships and field work can also be helpful in gaining practical experience.

2. The salary for a physicist can vary depending on the specific job and location, but the median pay in the United States is around $120,000 per year.

3. I personally love my job as a physicist. It is a challenging and constantly evolving field, and I enjoy being able to use my knowledge and skills to better understand the world around us.

4. The best part of my job is the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research and make new discoveries. The worst part can be the pressure to publish and secure funding for projects.

5. The hours can vary depending on the specific job, but most physicists work full-time. Vacation time also varies, but it is important to take breaks and recharge in order to maintain productivity and creativity.

6. I selected this profession because I have always been fascinated by how the universe works and wanted to contribute to our understanding of it. I also enjoy problem-solving and using math and science to find solutions.

7. Day to day responsibilities can include conducting experiments, analyzing data, writing papers, attending conferences, and collaborating with other scientists.

8. In high school, it is important to take a strong foundation in math and science courses, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. A high GPA is also important for admission into a reputable college or university.

9. Some important qualities for success in this field include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, persistence, and a passion for learning and discovery.

10. Depending on the job, travel may be required for conferences, collaborations, or field work. However, it is not a requirement for all positions.

11. I personally attended [insert college/university name here] for my undergraduate and graduate degrees in physics. However, there are many reputable institutions that offer strong physics programs.

12. If I didn't go into physics, I may have pursued a career in engineering or computer science. Both fields also involve problem-solving and critical thinking, which are skills I enjoy using in my work as a physicist.

I hope this information is helpful in your research. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of

Related to Career Research Project: Physics and Questions for a Physicist

1. What is the role of a physicist in the career field?

A physicist uses scientific principles and theories to study matter, energy, and their interactions. They may work in various industries such as research and development, academia, government, or private companies.

2. What skills and qualifications are needed to become a physicist?

Typically, a physicist will need at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as mathematical proficiency, are also important. Many positions may also require a graduate degree or specialized training in a specific area of physics.

3. What are some common job responsibilities for a physicist?

Job responsibilities for a physicist may vary depending on their specific role, but some common tasks include conducting research and experiments, analyzing data, developing theories and models, presenting findings, and collaborating with other scientists and professionals.

4. How is the job market for physicists?

The job market for physicists is expected to grow at a rate of 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. However, competition for positions may be strong, especially in research and academia.

5. What are some potential career paths for a physicist?

Physicists may have a variety of career options, including research and development, teaching, consulting, and working in government agencies or private companies. They may also specialize in a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics, materials science, or nuclear physics.