Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Bertrand Russell

• Thread starter 3.141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmos
In summary, Carl opens a book that looks like a copy of the Principia Mathematica and finds some symbols he does not understand. He is confused and put the book back on the shelf. It is possible that this book is from Principia Mathematica and that Sagan is referencing it.
Hello,

Watching this show for the first time. Just saw episode ten, The Persistence of Memory. When walking through his library of the mind, Carl opens a book that looks like Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica at around 32:45, when talking about hidden logical machinery behind "The simplest thought, like the concept of the number 'one'."

Please can anyone confirm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your link, I get:

This video is not available in your country.

phinds said:
From your link, I get:

This video is not available in your country.

Interesting. From a previous post, it seems that 3.141592 is in the UK. I can watch the video in Canada.

It is quite plausible that the page is from Principia Mathematica, but I don't know for sure.

Interesting also that Sagan put the book back on the shelf. G.H. Hardy, in A Mathematician's Apology, wrote
I can remember Bertrand Russell telling me of a horrible dream. He was in the top floor of the University Library, about A.D. 2100. A library assistant was going round the shelves carrying an enormous bucket, taking down books, glancing at them, restoring them to the shelves or dumping them into the bucket. At last he came to three large volumes which Russell could recognize as the last surviving copy of Principia Mathematica. He took down one of the volumes, turned over a few pages, seemed puzzled for a moment by the curious symbolism, closed the volume, balanced it in his hand and hesitated...

Thankyou both from replying. I'm sorry the link doesn't work for you both. (Yes, I am from the UK.)

Attached is a screen grab if anyone is interested. I just thought the topic Sagan was speaking of at that moment and the language he was using ('The brain has its own language of logical analysis for checking the consistency of the world', 'Logical machinery behind a seemingly-simple idea like the number 1' etc.) as well as the notation on the page, all reminded me of PM very much.

I only ask of curiousity: after Russell, Sagan is probably my biggest hero so I would be thrilled if Bertie got a nod in Cosmos :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 557
Yes, it is the principia mathematica. No other math book uses these kind of totally unreadable notations.

Here is their proof that 1+1=2 by the way:

KlRJR.png

Likes 1 person
Thankyou Micromass. I understand no one uses this notation anymore and even the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy states that modern students of logic will likely find the notation difficult. That, in part, is why it jumped out at me. It sure looked like PM!

Well, Sagan whipping out a Russell book in a mock-up of a human brain has just about made my day, so I think I'm going to log off and go to bed before anything ruins it.

'Night All! :approve:

Also, to George Jones: I have never come across this story about Russell before. Thanks for sharing!

1. Who was Carl Sagan and what is his significance in the field of science?

Carl Sagan was an American astronomer, astrophysicist, and science communicator. He is best known for his contributions to the study of extraterrestrial life and for popularizing science through his television series "Cosmos" and numerous books. Sagan also played a key role in NASA's Voyager missions, which explored the outer planets of our solar system.

2. What is the premise of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series?

"Cosmos" is a documentary series that explores the history of the universe, from the Big Bang to the present day. It also delves into the origins of life on Earth and the possibility of life on other planets. Sagan's goal with the series was to make science accessible and engaging for a general audience.

3. Who is Bertrand Russell and what is his contribution to science?

Bertrand Russell was a British philosopher, mathematician, and logician. He is best known for his work in the fields of logic and mathematics, but he also made significant contributions to the philosophy of science. Russell was a strong advocate for using reason and evidence to understand the world, and his ideas have influenced many scientific thinkers.

4. What is the connection between Carl Sagan and Bertrand Russell?

Carl Sagan and Bertrand Russell were both proponents of scientific thinking and the use of reason to understand the world. They also shared a passion for communicating their ideas to a wider audience and making science accessible to all. Sagan was greatly influenced by Russell's work and even wrote a tribute to him in his book "The Demon-Haunted World."

5. How have Carl Sagan and Bertrand Russell impacted the way we think about the universe and our place in it?

Both Carl Sagan and Bertrand Russell have had a profound impact on the way we think about the universe and our place in it. Through their work, they have encouraged critical thinking, curiosity, and a sense of wonder about the natural world. They have also helped to popularize science and make it more accessible to the general public, inspiring generations of scientists and science enthusiasts.