Carnot Cycle with negative temperatures

In summary, if you want to extract energy from a negative-temperature heat engine, you extract it from the reservoir with the lower negative temperature. The engine's efficiency is maximized at this point. If the engine is reversible, the maximum efficiency is achieved.
Thomas Brady

Homework Statement

Heat engines at negative temperatures. Consider using two heat reservoirs to run an engine (analogous to the Carnot cycle of chapter 3), but specify that both temperatures, T_hot and T_cold, are negative temperatures. The engine is to run reversibly.
(a) If the engine is to do a positive net amount of work, from which reservoir must the energy be extracted?

(b) Under the same conditions, what is the engine’s efficiency?

(c) If you drop the requirment of reversibility, what is the maximum efficiency and how would you achieve it?

Homework Equations

ΔS = Q/T

η = W_in/Q_out = (T_hot - T_cold)/T_hot

The Attempt at a Solution

So for (a) I'm pretty sure the reservoir with a lower magnitude negative temperature is the one from which energy must be extracted by how negative temperatures work to my knowledge. I'm not sure what this means for the efficiency. If T_hot is the temperature from which energy is extracted then the typical expression for max efficiency would have a negative result which I don't think is right. Do I need to get a different expression for efficiency? Also wouldn't the maximum efficiency achievable for part (c) still be the same as the efficiency of the reversible engine? Thanks for the help.

P.S. Sorry I am a novice and am having trouble with subscript

Physics news on Phys.org
What does entropy balance tell you if the system is reversible? If it's irreversible? Remember that you have heat enter/exiting the system at two reservoirs at different temperatures, and that the full equation for entropy balance is ##\Delta S = \sum \frac{Q}{T} + \sigma##, where ##\sigma## is how much entropy is generated by irreversibilities. Use that information and solve for the efficiency as a function of ##\sigma##.

Thomas Brady said:
Also wouldn't the maximum efficiency achievable for part (c) still be the same as the efficiency of the reversible engine?

Nope! Negative temperatures do weird things, as you'll see.

No such thing as negative K temperatures so I wouldn't pursue it.

rude man said:
Uh Oh... duck

rude man said:
What do you mean?

DrClaude said:
What do you mean?
I mean tthat after you get to zero K, which is absolute zero, you just don't want to get any colder!

TSny said:
Uh Oh... duck
Did I get another one wrong: :smile:

rude man said:
I mean tthat after you get to zero K, which is absolute zero, you just don't want to get any colder!
That's true in the sense that if you could extract enough energy to get a system to 0 K, you cannot extract more heat and get to negative temperatures.

But there are special systems for which you can imagine adding a finite amount of heat until the temperature becomes infinite, and then add even more energy to get to negative temperatures! Thus, negative temperatures are "hotter" than any positive temperature.

This craziness is a result of the way temperature is defined in thermodynamics in terms of heat and entropy. Before I say too much that is wrong, I will refer you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature.

TSny said:
That's true in the sense that if you could extract enough energy to get a system to 0 K, you cannot extract more heat and get to negative temperatures.

But there are special systems for which you can imagine adding a finite amount of heat until the temperature becomes infinite, and then add even more energy to get to negative temperatures! Thus, negative temperatures are "hotter" than any positive temperature.

This craziness is a result of the way temperature is defined in thermodynamics in terms of heat and entropy. Before I say too much that is wrong, I will refer you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature.
One lives and one learns ...
What goes around, comes around?

:smile:

Likes TSny

1. What is the Carnot Cycle with negative temperatures?

The Carnot Cycle with negative temperatures is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle proposed by French physicist Sadi Carnot in the 19th century. It involves a system that can reach negative temperatures, which is a concept that is counterintuitive to our everyday understanding of temperature. Negative temperatures occur when the majority of particles in a system have more energy than the highest energy state, resulting in a system that is hotter at negative temperatures than at positive temperatures.

2. How is negative temperature achieved in the Carnot Cycle?

Negative temperature can be achieved in the Carnot cycle by using a system of particles with a limited number of energy levels. When these particles are confined to a small number of energy levels, they can reach a state of maximum energy, resulting in negative temperature.

3. What is the significance of negative temperatures in the Carnot Cycle?

Negative temperatures in the Carnot cycle have important implications in the field of thermodynamics. They allow for the creation of a highly efficient heat engine, as the Carnot cycle with negative temperatures has a higher thermodynamic efficiency compared to traditional heat engines. This can have practical applications in areas such as energy production and refrigeration.

4. Is negative temperature possible in real-world systems?

No, negative temperatures have not been observed in any real-world systems. While they are theoretically possible, they require a highly specific and controlled environment which is difficult to achieve in practice. However, scientists have been able to create systems that exhibit negative temperatures on a microscopic scale in laboratory settings.

5. How does the Carnot Cycle with negative temperatures relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Carnot Cycle with negative temperatures is an example of a system that violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat will always flow from a hotter object to a cooler object. In the Carnot cycle with negative temperatures, heat can flow from a negative temperature object to a positive temperature object, which goes against our everyday experiences and understanding of thermodynamics.