Carnot Engine cycle on PV Diagram

In summary, the student is tasked with creating a PV Diagram of a Carnot Engine Cycle and has been given information by their teacher such as temperatures, pressure, volume, and equations to use. They have successfully used the gas law equation to find moles and volume, and have calculated the work for the path b to c. They are unsure if they can use the gas law for the paths a to b and c to d, and are considering using the efficiency equation to find volume or pressure. They have one remaining question about how to find VB from ln (V2/V1).
Sorelle
I posted this in the engineer / comp science thread, but I've had no one reply or help. I really could use some guidance and I don't know where else to post.

Homework Statement

I am tasked to create a PV Diagram of a Carnot Engine Cycle. I must find pressure, volume, Q, W, ΔU, and ΔS on all four points. This is what has been given to me by my teacher:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/LupjMh6SJxv2M4loxPxaSIMEaU6wtMeMfz0_jjY6dgyyEewHwdgzplahrV0Xidfkjpn4dfu3h0wcjoc=w1920-h1021
TCold = 300 K
THot = 1700 K
pc = 1.01*105 Pa
vc = 0.01 m3
Qa to b = 300 J
γ (gamma) = 1.40

Homework Equations

(1) p1v1=p2v2
(2) W=nRT ln(V2/V1)
(3) p1v1γ=p2v2γ
(4) W= p1v1-p2v2 / (γ-1)
(5) T1V1(γ-1) = T2V2(γ-1)
(6) W = nRT ln(V2/V1)
(7) pv = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations I managed to get point b's pressure and volume. What I got for point b:
vb = 0.028 m3
pb = 2.389*104 Pa
First, I used the gas law equation (7) to get moles. This came out to n = 0.405 moles. Then, I used equation (5) to get volume, solving for Vb(y-1). I then used equation (3) to get pressure, solving for pb. I then got W = -852.7 J for the path b to c using equation (4). This seems kind of odd to me and I'm not sure if its correct because it's doing more work than the amount of heat it is providing. I assume Qa to b = is QH ? It seems so low though.

I'm trying to figure out how am I going to get points d and a without knowing pressure or volume on those points. A class mate had suggested I used equation (5) for a to b and c to d, but those paths are isothermal. Isn't equation (5) adiabatic only? I don't know if I can even use the gas law because I'd need pressure or volume and I don't have that.

There is also the idea that I have to use equation (6) and solve for volume that way. The problem is I don't know where to start. I'm a little rusty on my calculus (it's been about 4 years). I tried to break it down to W = nRT(ln (V2) - ln (V1))= nRT( 1/V2 - 1/V1), but this doesn't seem to help and I may have done it wrong.

I'd be grateful for any kind of help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean ##Q_{A \to B} = 300\text{ J}##? 300 K doesn't make sense.

Try figure out what you easily can from the given information. For example, what's the efficiency of the engine? If you know that, you can figure out ##Q_{C to D}## and W and so on.

vela said:
Did you mean ##Q_{A \to B} = 300\text{ J}##? 300 K doesn't make sense.

Try figure out what you easily can from the given information. For example, what's the efficiency of the engine? If you know that, you can figure out ##Q_{C to D}## and W and so on.

Yeah, sorry I had the wrong unit there (fixed it).

I could try using e = Th - Tc / TH to get the efficiency and then use e = W / QH in some way to get volume or pressure perhaps.

I wonder if perhaps I have the temperatures mixed up. and Tc should be c → d ?

You can figure out QC from e and QH.

On each leg, either Qi to f=0 (adiabatic) or ΔUi to f=0 (isothermal). Take C to D. It's an isothermal process, so you know the internal energy doesn't change. The first law then tells you that W(C to D) = ±QC (I'm not sure what sign convention your class follows). Well you found QC earlier, so you know W(C to D), so you can figure out VB using (6). Then use the ideal gas law to find pB. Just keep going like that around the cycle.

Thank you you've been very helpful.

I have just 1 last question though. How can I get VB from ln (V2/V1) ? would eW/nRT / V2 = V1 work?

Close. The units don't work out there. You have ##\rm{m^{-3}}## on one side and ##\rm{m^3}## on the other. ##V_1## should be some multiple of ##V_2##. Other than the algebra mistake, though, you have the right idea.

What is a Carnot Engine cycle on a PV diagram?

A Carnot Engine cycle on a PV diagram is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic process that a Carnot Engine undergoes. It shows the relationship between pressure and volume as the engine goes through the four stages of the Carnot cycle: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

What is the significance of the Carnot Engine cycle?

The Carnot Engine cycle is significant because it is the most efficient theoretical heat engine. It serves as a benchmark for the maximum possible efficiency of real-world heat engines and helps to understand the limitations of these engines.

What does the area under the curve on a PV diagram represent for a Carnot Engine?

The area under the curve on a PV diagram for a Carnot Engine represents the work done by the engine during one complete cycle. This work is equal to the net heat input to the engine, as described by the First Law of Thermodynamics.

What are the limitations of the Carnot Engine cycle on a PV diagram?

The Carnot Engine cycle is a theoretical cycle and does not take into account practical limitations such as friction and heat loss. It also assumes that the engine operates in a reversible manner, which is not possible in real-world engines. Additionally, the Carnot Engine cycle only applies to ideal gases and cannot be used for other substances.

How is the efficiency of a Carnot Engine calculated on a PV diagram?

The efficiency of a Carnot Engine is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. On a PV diagram, this can be represented by the ratio of the area enclosed by the cycle to the area under the isothermal expansion curve. The efficiency of a Carnot Engine is always higher than that of a real-world engine operating between the same temperature limits.