Cartesian components of ellipsoid's gravity field - looking for info

In summary, the conversation is about implementing the gravity of a reference ellipsoid in a ballistics simulation on a website. The first approximation for the magnitude of gravitational acceleration and potential is discussed, as well as the cartesian components for homogenous sphere gravity. The speaker is looking for information on how to set up the cartesian components for the reference ellipsoid's gravity, and someone else provides a helpful resource from the University of Colorado.
Cleonis
Gold Member
I'm posting here, in the math forum, because my question is about handling the math of the problem.

On my website there are a number of simulations (in the form of Java applets), and among them is a http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/ejs/ballistics_simulation.php" .

The ballistics simulation is designed to be used for slow speeds and low altitudes (up to kilometers). Another version, called 'ballistics and orbits', covers the altitude range of satellite motion. For satellite motion it suffices to use as gravitational field the field of a perfect sphere. Currently the low altitude version also uses perfect sphere gravity, but I want to push for more: I want to model the gravity of the reference ellipsoid.

To do that I must implement the following two things:
- Geodetic coordinates for input and output, while using cartesian coordinates for the computation.
- The cartesian components of the reference ellipsoid's gravity.

I have found good information about interconverting between geodetic and cartesian coordinates. I don't expect major problems; if I need assistence with that I will ask for that later.

Cartesian components
What I don't have a plan for right now is how to set up the cartesian components of the reference ellipsoid's gravity.

As a first approximation for the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration, I can use McCullagh's formula, using only the first terms:

[tex] g = \frac{GM}{r^2} - \frac{3GMa^2J_2}{2r^4}(3sin^2\Phi - 1) [/tex]

and the counterpart expression for the gravitational potential:

[tex] V = - \frac{GM}{r} + \frac{GMa^2J_2}{2r^3}(3sin^2\Phi - 1) [/tex]

(There may be incorrect minus signs there; debugging the simulation should get that sorted.)

Now, in the case of homogenous sphere gravity I have set up the following the cartesian components:

[tex] g_x = - \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} \cdot \frac{GM}{x^2+y^2+z^2} [/tex]
[tex] g_y = - \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} \cdot \frac{GM}{x^2+y^2+z^2} [/tex]
[tex] g_z = - \frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} \cdot \frac{GM}{x^2+y^2+z^2} [/tex]

The symmetry simplifies the expressions enormously. It's easy to see that the vector sum of the components is once again 'g'.

Reference ellipsoid
To obtain the cartesian components of the reference ellipsoid's gravity I suppose I need to use respectively x, y and z partial derivatives of the gravitational potential.

The tricky bit, it seems, is to make the vector sum of the components add up to precisely 'g'. My hope is that there is a neat and clean way of making that happen. I hope someone can inform me on this.

Cleonis

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cleonis said:
What I don't have a plan for right now is how to set up the cartesian components of the reference ellipsoid's gravity.

Fortunately someone else who is in on the problem found the information I need:

University of Colorado at Boulder
http://www.colorado.edu/ASEN/asen3200/labs/ASEN3200_LabO3_2005.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field?

The Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field refer to the three components of gravity (x, y, z) that are used to describe the gravitational force at any point on the surface of the ellipsoid. These components are typically represented as gx, gy, and gz.

2. How are the Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field calculated?

The Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the size, shape, and mass distribution of the ellipsoid. These calculations can be complex and often require specialized software or algorithms.

3. What factors can affect the Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field?

There are several factors that can affect the Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field. These include the mass and density distribution of the ellipsoid, the distance from the center of the ellipsoid, and the rotation of the ellipsoid.

4. How are the Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field used in scientific research?

The Cartesian components of an ellipsoid's gravity field are used in a variety of scientific research fields, including geodesy, geophysics, and planetary science. They can help scientists understand the shape and mass distribution of the ellipsoid, as well as the effects of gravity on objects or phenomena within its gravitational field.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cartesian components to describe an ellipsoid's gravity field?

While Cartesian components can provide a useful way to describe an ellipsoid's gravity field, they do have limitations. For example, they may not accurately describe the gravity field at extreme latitudes or altitudes. Additionally, they do not take into account other factors that can affect gravity, such as the Earth's rotation or the presence of other masses nearby.