Cartesian equation of the plane

In summary: M and lb) passing through M and orthogonal to land what course? vector algebra?also you really need to show more work before anyone here at PF will help.
yy205001

Homework Statement

If the line "l" is given by the equations 2x-y+z=0, x+z-1=0, and if M is the point (1,3,-2), find a Cartesian equation of the plane.
a) passing through M and l
b) passing through M and orthogonal to l

Homework Equations

(r-r0)n=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the equation above, so i got rn=r0n
then, (x,y,z)n=(1,3,-2)n.
And i don't know how to get the normal vector from those two equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can you be more specific? does the plane contain the line or the point? or does it contain both?

sorry, i forgot some of them.

and what course? vector algebra?

also you really need to show more work before anyone here at PF will help.

yy205001 said:

Homework Statement

If the line "l" is given by the equations 2x-y+z=0, x+z-1=0, and if M is the point (1,3,-2), find a Cartesian equation of the plane.
I presume you know: If <A, B, C> is a vector normal to a plane and [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is a point in the plane, then the Cartesian equation of the plane is [itex]A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex].

2x- y+ z= 0, x+ z=1. Subtract the second equation from the first to eliminate z: x- y= -1 or x= y- 1. If you let y= 0, x= -1 so x+ z- 1= -1+ z- 1= 0 gives z= 2. (1, 0, 2) is a point on the given line. If you let y= 1 in x= y- 1, x= 0 so x+ z- 1= z- 1= 0 gives z= 1. (0, 1, 1) is a point on the given line. Those, together with (1, 3, -2) give you three points in the plane. <1- 1, 3- 0, -2- 2>= <0, 3, -4> is a vector in the plane. <1- 0, 3- 1, -2- 1>= <1, 2, -3> is another vector in the plane. Their cross product is normal to the plane.

<2, 1, 1> is a vector normal to 2x- y+ z= 0. <1, 0, 1> is a vector normal to x+ z= 1. Their cross product is normal to both so normal to any plane perpendicular to the line. You have a normal vector and a point in the plane.

Homework Equations

(r-r0)n=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the equation above, so i got rn=r0n
then, (x,y,z)n=(1,3,-2)n.
And i don't know how to get the normal vector from those two equations

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Cartesian equation of a plane?

The Cartesian equation of a plane is an equation that represents all the points on a plane in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is in the form of ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and d is a constant term.

2. How is the Cartesian equation of a plane derived?

The Cartesian equation of a plane can be derived using the vector equation of a plane, which is r · n = d. Here, r is the position vector of a point on the plane, n is the normal vector to the plane, and d is the distance from the origin to the plane along the direction of the normal vector.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients in the Cartesian equation of a plane?

The coefficients in the Cartesian equation of a plane represent the direction and orientation of the plane. The coefficients a, b, and c are known as the direction cosines, and they determine the direction of the normal vector to the plane. The constant term d represents the distance of the plane from the origin.

4. Can the Cartesian equation of a plane be written in different forms?

Yes, the Cartesian equation of a plane can also be written in the form of (x - x0)/a = (y - y0)/b = (z - z0)/c, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane. This form is known as the symmetric form of the equation.

5. How is the Cartesian equation of a plane used in real-world applications?

The Cartesian equation of a plane is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, geometry, and computer graphics. It is used to represent and analyze the position and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space. It is also used in navigation systems, computer simulations, and 3D modeling.