Cat Owners: Do Cats Smell?

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary: Sometimes their breath might be a "little off" ... and once in awhile, they might release a little intestinal gas .... :oldbiggrin:In summary, yes, cats do smell, but it's not a big deal. They usually take care of themselves and don't need to be bathed very often. Cats also release a little intestinal gas, but it's not that bad.
Psinter
A question for cat owners.

One day I hope to get a pet. Until then, I gather information first. I'm primarily concerned about smells. A bunny is on the list yes or yes. I don't care if it smells because I will love:heart: it lots anyways.

I was thinking that maybe a cat would be cool too. Just two: a bunny and a cat.

Cat owners, do cats smell? Will they make the place smell even after being properly bathed and taken good care of? How about the place where they make number 1 and number 2, does that releases smell?

Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
A question for cat owners.

One day I hope to get a pet. Until then, I gather information first. I'm primarily concerned about smells. A bunny is on the list yes or yes. I don't care if it smells because I will love:heart: it lots anyways.

I was thinking that maybe a cat would be cool too. Just two: a bunny and a cat.

Cat owners, do cats smell? Will they make the place smell even after being properly bathed and taken good care of?
Yes and no. If they're healthy, they don't smell, but unspayed male cats often will mark their territory by backing up to a wall or piece of furniture and spraying it. See http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Male-Cat-from-Spraying.
This spraying behavior is a form of communication, and it has a stronger smell than ordinary cat pee.
Psinter said:
How about the place where they make number 1 and number 2, does that releases smell?
I take it that you have never had a cat before. A litter box doesn't have too much of a smell, as long as you have some absorbent, odor-reducing cat litter for them to go in, and you clean it on a regular basis. If it gets too smelly, they will find some other place to go.

The last cat I had was with me for 15+ years. She would usually do her business outside, and would use the litter box only when I was gone one to three days. As a result, I didn't need to clean her litter box very much, as she hardly ever used it.

Last edited:
Likes Psinter and OCR
The cat, itself, doesn't have any particular odor. Cats don't have to be bathed at all. A healthy cat grooms itself several times a day. (I think people who bath their cats are interfering with a remarkable natural self-cleaning system that does not need fixing.)

The litter box is another story. It has to be tended to every day.

Likes StatGuy2000, Psinter and OCR
Psinter said:
...being properly bathed...
You might find that bathing a cat could be somewhat of a problem ... lol
Cats usually spend a lot of time bathing themselves.
How about the place where they make number 1 and number 2, does that releases smell?
If you don't change their litter regularly, it can ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldwink:
...do cats smell?
Yes, they smell with their nose, but they hardly ever, ever stink ...

Sometimes their breath might be a "little off" ... and once in awhile, they might release a little intestinal gas ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

You get used to that though... after all, you're its human... :heart: [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
Mark44 said:
Yes and no. If they're healthy, they don't smell, but unspayed male cats often will mark their territory by backing up to a wall or piece of furniture and spraying it. See http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Male-Cat-from-Spraying.
This spraying behavior is a form of communication, and it has a stronger smell than ordinary cat pee.
Thanks for the info. I read everything there. I also looked for information on neutering and spaying.
For a while there, made me wonder if humans can also be spayed/neutered and whether that would change their behavior too for the better, but that would be off topic. I made this thread to ask about cats, not humans. It just came as a random thought.

I have been reading differences between female cats and a male cats. They are all opinions. But it is okay, I want to know others' opinions too. From what I have read, most people appear to have the opinion that neutered male cats are more affectionate and mellow. But those are their opinions and some state that gender has nothing to do. That such are simply people's observations on their specific cats. I read the breed says more about their personality. Whether they are very independent or smoochy.
Mark44 said:
I take it that you have never had a cat before.
No. I only had one in a video game. Not in real life. It would attack me if I didn't give it what it wanted. But gosh, the food was expensive in the video game. It ate so much I had to make a warehouse and fill it with cat food :DD.
zoobyshoe said:
The cat, itself, doesn't have any particular odor. Cats don't have to be bathed at all. A healthy cat grooms itself several times a day.
I see. I thought it had to be bathed every certain time like dogs. But that's good. It tells me a cat would be a good choice then.
OCR said:
You might find that bathing a cat could be somewhat of a problem ... lol
Cats usually spend a lot of time bathing themselves.
Oh, I have seen the videos :confused:.
OCR said:
Sometimes their breath might be a "little off" ... and once in awhile, they might release a little intestinal gas ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:
Blagh. I hope I am not nearby when.

About bathing cats: in general it is not necessary, but some breeds (longhairs) do require additional attention, as they are not able to deal with their fur properly on their own. It doesn't necessarily mean bathing, but definitely grooming and a haircut once or twice a year.

Most breeds will deal with their fur on their own, just occasionally regurgitating hairballs.

Also note: some breeds keep low to the ground, but some will live in 3D. In such a case assume this is just a way it is going to be, you won't change cat habits :smile:

chalwa03.jpg

Likes DrClaude, Psinter, zoobyshoe and 1 other person
Borek said:
Also note: some breeds keep low to the ground, but some will live in 3D. In such a case assume this is just a way it is going to be, you won't change cat habits :smile:
In fact, any high perches you can supply them with, or allow them to commandeer, will make your cat feel more secure and mentally healthy. It keeps them safe from predators and also allows them to drop down from above onto their prey. The fact there won't be either in your house doesn't matter to them; it's the principle.

Student100 said:
Rabbit is going to stink 1000x worse, but they taste oh so good.
No, don't say that :frown:. Bunnies are not for eats!
Borek said:
About bathing cats: in general it is not necessary, but some breeds (longhairs) do require additional attention, as they are not able to deal with their fur properly on their own. It doesn't necessarily mean bathing, but definitely grooming and a haircut once or twice a year.

Most breeds will deal with their fur on their own, just occasionally regurgitating hairballs.
I will keep that in mind when choosing.
Borek said:

chalwa03.jpg
:bugeye: H... how did it got up there?
zoobyshoe said:
In fact, any high perches you can supply them with, or allow them to commandeer, will make your cat feel more secure and mentally healthy.
Oh I have high places.

Psinter said:
:bugeye: H... how did it got up there?

Direct jump from the countertop to the top of the wall cabinet (in a place bit to the left, not visible on the picture, but these are exactly the same levels you see). Then whole top is hers.

But in general don't expect to know how your cat got there. It just did.

Likes DrClaude and Psinter
Borek said:
Direct jump from the countertop to the top of the wall cabinet (in a place bit to the left, not visible on the picture, but these are exactly the same levels you see). Then whole top is hers.
Ohhhhh. She must like it up there then.

I didn't know it was your cat. As a side note, your kitchen looks awesome. It looks better than mine. I like it.
Borek said:
But in general don't expect to know how your cat got there. It just did.
:oldlaugh:

Borek said:
But in general don't expect to know how your cat got there.
It's actually very simple... they defy gravity...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :approve:

Likes DrClaude, Borek and Psinter
Psinter said:
I didn't know it was your cat.

It is not, we were cat sitting. Our cat was never up there. Actually not even on the countertop. Cats are different.

Borek said:
It is not, we were cat sitting. Our cat was never up there. Actually not even on the countertop. Cats are different.
Oh I see.

She's ninja cat. :biggrin:

Psinter said:
No, don't say that :frown:. Bunnies are not for eats!
They taste like chicken. Only difference is there are four drumsticks, not two.

Likes 1oldman2
Psinter said:
No. I only had one in a video game.
Definitely not the same. My cat would occasionally catch a bird and leave it on the doorstep. She was showing me that she was on the job and earning her keep.

Likes Psinter
Mark44 said:
They taste like chicken. Only difference is there are four drumsticks, not two.
Nooooooooooooooo :cry:.

Cats can not taste sweets.
I can't say what they taste like though.

I can certainly smell cats when I go into a place where cats live, not that it is necessarily a bad thing. But at times it can be.
On the other hand, I am allergic to cats (their dander that is).

No idea what is the taste of the cat, but some probably do.

im-gonna-eat-that-kitty-comic.jpg

Likes DrClaude
BillTre said:
can certainly smell cats when I go into a place where cats live, not that it is necessarily a bad thing. But at times it can be.
On the other hand, I am allergic to cats (their dander that is).
You can smell them? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I didn't know cats had dander. Thanks for that piece of information :smile:. I don't know if I am allergic to their dander. Must ask someone who has cats if I can live with them for a while to see how I feel. Although I don't know if an allergist would have tests for that.
Borek said:
No idea what is the taste of the cat, but some probably do.

im-gonna-eat-that-kitty-comic.jpg
The face of the kid at the last chair next to the wall.

I don't think the smell and the allergy are directly related.

BillTre said:
I don't think the smell and the allergy are directly related.
I don't either. As I understand it, people who are allergic to cats are allergic to their dander, which is little bits of their dried saliva, that comes from them grooming themselves. That and possibly their fur, but I'm not sure that it isn't solely from their dander.
Psinter said:
Although I don't know if an allergist would have tests for that.
They might. Cat dander is a common allergen that affects certain people.

Psinter said:

Oh my god yes.

You must keep the litter box clean. Cats are diligent, indeed obsessed with trying to bury their poo; but they aren't always skillful at it, especially once they start getting old. Depending on diet a fresh, uncovered cat turd can be one of the grossest smells imaginable; and cat pee is not an especially pleasant odor either. So you must groom the litter box daily or even twice daily.

If you really must have no odor, you can apparently teach your cat to use the toilet. They can do everything necessary at the toilet except flush.

Psinter said:
I don't know if an allergist would have tests for that.

They do have such tests. They also have them for pollen, dogs, and birds. I have had them all.

Likes Psinter
UsableThought said:
Oh my god yes.

You must keep the litter box clean.
Understood.
UsableThought said:
If you really must have no odor, you can apparently teach your cat to use the toilet.
Not really absolutely no odor. It's just that I know for sure that some pets smell and I don't want to get one that later is like that.

What you say struck me as a little funny because I had never heard of a cat using a toilet and I'm trying to imagine one using the toilet :oldlaugh:. In my head it's funny.

Psinter said:
What you say struck me as a little funny because I had never heard of a cat using a toilet and I'm trying to imagine one using the toilet

About a thousand videos on YouTube - e.g.

Likes Psinter

1. Do cats have a natural odor?

Yes, cats do have a natural odor that is usually mild and not very noticeable. However, some cats may have a stronger odor due to their diet, grooming habits, or certain medical conditions.

2. Why do some cats smell more than others?

Some cats may have a stronger smell due to factors such as their breed, age, health, or diet. For example, cats with longer hair may trap more odor, and older cats may have a weaker sense of smell and therefore not groom themselves as thoroughly.

3. Can a cat's diet affect its smell?

Yes, a cat's diet can affect its smell. Some foods may cause more odor in a cat's urine or feces, and if a cat is not properly digesting its food, it may also have a stronger odor in its fur and breath.

4. How can I reduce my cat's odor?

Regular grooming and proper nutrition are key to reducing a cat's odor. Brushing your cat's fur can help remove any dirt or oils that may contribute to its smell, and feeding a high-quality diet can improve digestion and reduce odor in urine and feces.

5. Is a strong odor in my cat a cause for concern?

In most cases, a strong odor in a cat is not cause for concern. However, if the odor is accompanied by other symptoms such as changes in behavior, appetite, or litter box habits, it may be a sign of an underlying health issue. It is best to consult with a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.