Cat walking on a log floating on water

In summary: If not, what does that tell you about the distance the log moves?In summary, the problem involves a cat and a dog standing on a log floating in a lake. The log is 11.0m long and has a mass of 460kg, while the cat has a mass of 7.0kg and the dog has a mass of 9.0kg. The cat begins to walk towards the dog's end of the log, and the question asks for the distance the log has moved by the time the cat reaches the dog, assuming no horizontal forces from the water and no one falls off. Using conservation of momentum and considering the center of mass before and after the cat moves, we can find that the log does
GreenTea09

Homework Statement

A dog and a cat, are standing at opposite ends of a uniform log that is floating in a lake. The log is 11.0m long and has mass 460kg . The dog has mass 9.0kg and the cat has mass 7.0kg . Initially the log and the two pets are at rest relative to the shore.The cat then begins to walk to the dog's end of the log to get it.

Relative to the shore, what distance has the log moved by the time the cat reaches the dog? Neglect any horizontal force that the water exerts on the log and assume that neither Burt nor Ernie falls off the log

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m3v3

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use conservation of momentum to solve this problem.
Mass of cat*initial velocity of cat + 0(initial momentum of the dog and the log) = Mass of (log+cat+dog)*velocity(3)
i get 2 unknowns, initial velocity of cat and velocity(3)
is there other clue that i can gather from the question since the question did not provide me with any of the pets nor the log velocity..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Where's the center of mass of the system before and after the cat moves?

here's my attempt:

initial centre of mass:
{(460*5.5)+(9.0*0)+(7.0*11)/460+9.0+7.0=5.477m

final centre of mass:
(460*5.5)+(9.0*0)+(7.0*x)/460+9.0+7.0 = (2530+7x)/476

if i try to solve it using conservation of momentum, there is still an unknown- time taken for the cat to complete its journey..

GreenTea09 said:
here's my attempt:

initial centre of mass:
{(460*5.5)+(9.0*0)+(7.0*11)/460+9.0+7.0=5.477m
Good. That's the initial location of the center of mass as measured along the log.

final centre of mass:
(460*5.5)+(9.0*0)+(7.0*x)/460+9.0+7.0 = (2530+7x)/476
Do the same thing that you did for the initial center of mass--the only difference is that the cat has moved to the other side. So what is x?

Hint: The center of mass will shift position with respect to the log, but does it shift with respect to the shore?

I would approach this problem by first considering the forces acting on the log and the pets. Since the log is floating on water, we can assume that the only forces acting on it are the weight of the log and the buoyant force from the water. The cat and dog also have their weights acting on the log.

Next, I would consider the motion of the log and the pets. Since the log and the pets are initially at rest, we can assume that the net force on them is zero. As the cat walks towards the dog, the log and the pets will start to move towards the dog's end of the log. The distance that the log has moved can be calculated by using the equation d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. We can also use the equation v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

To solve for the unknowns, we can use the conservation of momentum equation as you have mentioned. However, we also need to consider the direction of the motion. Since the cat is moving towards the dog, the momentum of the cat and the log will be in the same direction, while the momentum of the dog will be in the opposite direction. We can set up the equation as follows:

(mass of cat * velocity of cat) + (mass of log * velocity of log) + (mass of dog * velocity of dog) = 0

We know the masses of the cat, log, and dog from the given information. We can then solve for the unknown velocity of the log, which will give us the distance it has moved by the time the cat reaches the dog.

Additionally, we can also consider the conservation of energy in this system. Since the log and the pets are initially at rest and there is no external work being done on the system, we can assume that the total energy of the system remains constant. We can use this information to check our calculations and make sure that the final answer is physically reasonable.

In summary, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by considering the forces and motion of the log and the pets, and using conservation of momentum and energy to solve for the unknowns and determine the distance that the log has moved by the time the cat reaches the dog.

Related to Cat walking on a log floating on water

1. How does a cat walk on a log floating on water?

A cat is able to walk on a log floating on water due to its incredible balance and agility. Cats have a natural ability to distribute their weight evenly and use their tails for balance, which allows them to walk on narrow surfaces such as logs.

2. Is it safe for a cat to walk on a log floating on water?

In most cases, it is safe for a cat to walk on a log floating on water. However, it is important to ensure that the water is not too deep and the log is stable enough for the cat to walk on. It is also important to supervise the cat to prevent any accidents.

3. Why do cats like to walk on logs floating on water?

Cats are naturally curious and adventurous animals, and walking on a log floating on water provides them with a new and exciting experience. It also allows them to use their natural hunting instincts and practice their balance and agility.

4. Can all cats walk on logs floating on water?

While most cats have the ability to walk on logs floating on water, not all cats may be comfortable with it. Some cats may be afraid of the water or may not have the necessary agility to walk on a floating log. Each cat is unique and may have different preferences and abilities.

5. How can I train my cat to walk on a log floating on water?

If your cat is already comfortable with walking on different surfaces, you can slowly introduce them to walking on a log floating on water. Start with shallow water and a stable log, and use treats or toys to encourage them. Always supervise your cat and never force them to do something they are uncomfortable with.