Catapult/Projectile Launcher Project - In Depth, Fairly Complicated - I'm stuck.

In summary, the student is attempting to make a projectile launcher that will fire a golf ball a certain distance, a certain height, and to have it land accurately on a target. The device can only be 1x1x1 meter in size and there will be two launches with three attempts each. Launch 1 will have a 0.5x0.5 meter window located 2 meters away, and will be 2 meters high. Launch 2 will have the same window, and the same height, but will be 4 meters away instead. For each launch, the ball must pass through the window and then land at the target which is located 8 meters away. The student has been unable to solve the problem of determining the correct variables for the device
Zealot644

Homework Statement

I am required to make a projectile launcher of some form that will fire a golf ball a certain distance, a certain height through a window, and to have it land accurately on a target.

-The device can only be 1x1x1 meter - no weight restrictions.
-There will be two launches with 3 attempts each.
-Launch 1 will have a 0.5x0.5 meter window located 2 meters away, and will be 2 meters high.
-Launch 2 will have the same window, and the same height, but will be 4 meters away instead.
-For each launch, the ball must pass through the window and then land at the target which is located 8 meters away.

Here is a picture which helps describe a bit better: (to hell with 'not being able to include links'), type in i.imgur followed by .com and then /PKWAe.png

I have been unable to solve this problem so far because it involves something I am building in real life. I will describe what I have below.

I have done various calculations but they involve 'perfect' materials and such, which is impossible for me. I have determined, to my capability, that the ball must be launched at an angle of 17.51 degrees and a speed of 9.08m/s. But I had to make up a spring constant as I don't know what mine is for the elastic material I am using.

Homework Equations

Stuff to do with projectile motion. I've tried a few equations.

t=d/v
2gy=0-Viy^2 height I must reach above launch location, 1.25m
ax^2+bx+c=0 to get the time it will be in the air, 0.51s
v=d/t to determine the X velocity of 15.68
Tanθ=O/A to get launch angle
Sinθ=O/H to get diagonal launch speed
F=kx^2 to get my elastic constant K which ended up being 0.023
F=ma to try and get F of 5.74N, to allow for rearranging of K.
2as=vf^2 to get the acceleration per second of 124.92m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made a projectile launcher : type in i.imgur followed by .com and then /RqRlp.png

It consists of two vertical boards on a platform. They are hinged - allowing for adjustment of holes at various heights by moving the firing platform.

The platform itself is a flat board with two pieces I cut at 45 degree angles for the ball to rest in. The ball will find its own center that way. The board itself can attach to different heights where holes have been drilled, and can pivot almost 90 degrees upwards.

The ball is fired through the use of an elastic material which I was provided, it seems to be the inflatable lining from inside a bicycle tire, and once cut into thin strips should be elastic enough.

I used all the equations I have listed to try and figure this out, but I am entirely stuck because...

I cannot find out K for sure, V for sure, A for sure - all of which prevents me from the correct angle and height.

I cannot figure out how to calculate firing from the elevated height. I decided that from 1m, in order to go above 2m and through the window, the ball must be fired to an elevation of 1.25m higher than the launch point, thus up to 2.25 meters.

Once the ball reaches 8m after passing through the windows, that is the 8m which is still located 1m above the ground, and it would keep moving horizontally past 8m until finally hitting the ground 1m below.Honest to god, I'm awful at physics and my passing is relying heavily on this project being successful. I have until Tuesday to get it done, and have been trying to work on it here and there for two weeks but I have reached a road block. I cannot get the correct variables to fire it properly, and the teacher has been of zero help so far. I hope my post makes some semblance of sense and perhaps can help with others helping me out - because I am entirely stumped on what to do.

If you need clarification on anything, just ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
All these views and no reply :(?

Bump...

1. How do I ensure the accuracy of my catapult or projectile launcher?

Accuracy in a catapult or projectile launcher can be achieved by making sure all components are securely fastened and aligned properly. Additionally, testing and adjusting the tension of the launch arm or spring can help improve accuracy. It is also important to use consistent projectiles and maintain the same launch angle for each test.

2. How do I calculate the maximum range of my catapult or projectile launcher?

The maximum range of a catapult or projectile launcher can be calculated using the formula: range = (velocity^2 x sin(2*launch angle))/g, where velocity is the initial speed of the projectile, launch angle is the angle at which the projectile is launched, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). It is important to note that this formula assumes ideal conditions and may vary in real-world scenarios.

3. What factors affect the power and performance of a catapult or projectile launcher?

The power and performance of a catapult or projectile launcher can be affected by various factors such as the tension or stiffness of the launch arm or spring, the weight and size of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, and the surface on which the launcher is placed. Air resistance and wind can also play a role in the performance of the launcher.

4. How can I improve the design of my catapult or projectile launcher?

There are several ways to improve the design of a catapult or projectile launcher. Some suggestions include optimizing the angle and length of the launch arm, using a more powerful or adjustable spring, experimenting with different types and sizes of projectiles, and adding stability to the base of the launcher. Conducting multiple trials and making small adjustments can also help improve the overall design.

5. How do I troubleshoot common issues with my catapult or projectile launcher?

If your catapult or projectile launcher is not performing as expected, there are a few common issues you can troubleshoot. Check to make sure all components are securely fastened and aligned, adjust the tension or angle of the launch arm, and try using different types of projectiles. If these do not resolve the issue, it may be helpful to consult with other resources or seek the assistance of an experienced engineer or scientist.