Cauchy Convergence in Normed Vector Spaces

In summary, the sequence fn(x) is a cauchy sequence in (C[-1,1], Norm(f)1), but not in (C[-1,1], Norm(f)Infinity).
Adblax

Homework Statement

Fix a<b in R, and consider the two norms Norm(f)1:=Integralab( Modulus(f)) and Norm(f)Infinity:= sup{Mod(f(x)): a <= x <= b} on the vector space C[a,b]. This question shows that they are not equivalent.
a. Show that there is K in R such that for all f in C[a,b],
Norm(f)1 <= K*Norm(f)Infinity
b. Show that there is no K in R such that for all f in C[a,b],
Norm(f)infinity <= K*Norm(f)1
c. Consider the sequence of functions (fn) in C[-1,1] given by fn(x):=x1/(2n-1)
Is (fn) a cauchy sequence in (C[-1,1], Norm(f)1)? Why?
Is (fn) a cauchy sequence in (C[-1,1], Norm(f)Infinity)? Why?

Homework Equations

Cauchy Convergence Definition:
For all E>0, There exists M(E)>0, in the natural numbers, such that for all m>=n>=M(E), Norm(fm-fn)<E

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the first two parts relatively easy I think, for a taking k to be (b-a) and for b, considering the sequence of functions
fn(x):= { n2-nx for 0<=x<=1/n
0 otherwise
However, for the proof of cauchy sequences I am at a loss, as we cannot use normal convergence in the normed vector space as it converged to something that isn't continuous. So I am trying to use the definition of cauchy convergence, for the first part I have tried splitting up the integral into [0,1] and [-1,0] but have no idea for the second part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the 1-norm this is a Cauchy sequence.
You need to prove that [tex]\|f_p-f_q\|_1\rightarrow 0[/tex]as [tex]p,q\rightarrow +\infty[/tex].
So, you'll need to calculate

[tex]\|f_p-f_q\|_1=\int_{-1}^1{|x^{1/(2p-1)}-x^{1/(2q-1)}|}[/tex]

and then prove that this expression goes to 0 as [tex]p,q\rightarrow +\infty[/tex].

I somewhat understand the first part yes, however I really cannot see what to do for the second part, as I know it doesn't have cauchy convergence, however, intuitively, the supremum tends to 0 eventually, as given an x, they will both tend to 1 as p,q tends to infinity, and thus the supremum tends to 0 (assuming x isn't 0)

C([-1,1]) with the sup-norm is complete, thus all Cauchy convergent sequences converges. But if a sequences converges uniformly, then it converges pointswize. So you need to show that the pointswise limit of your sequence is not continuous.

Related to Cauchy Convergence in Normed Vector Spaces

1. What is Cauchy convergence in normed vector spaces?

Cauchy convergence in normed vector spaces is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of vectors in a vector space. It states that a sequence of vectors is said to converge if the difference between any two vectors in the sequence approaches zero as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

2. How is Cauchy convergence different from other types of convergence?

Cauchy convergence is different from other types of convergence, such as pointwise or uniform convergence, because it focuses on the behavior of the entire sequence as a whole, rather than the behavior of individual terms in the sequence. It also requires that the difference between any two vectors in the sequence approaches zero, rather than just the limit of the sequence itself.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy convergence in normed vector spaces?

Cauchy convergence in normed vector spaces is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to define and study convergence in a more general setting. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of real and complex analysis, as well as in functional analysis.

4. How is Cauchy convergence related to the completeness of a normed vector space?

In a complete normed vector space, every Cauchy sequence converges to a limit within the space. This means that the concept of Cauchy convergence is closely tied to the completeness of a normed vector space. In fact, the completeness of a normed vector space is often defined in terms of Cauchy convergence.

5. Can Cauchy convergence be applied to infinite-dimensional vector spaces?

Yes, Cauchy convergence can be applied to infinite-dimensional vector spaces, as long as the space is complete. In this case, a sequence of vectors will converge if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence. This is one of the key differences between finite-dimensional and infinite-dimensional vector spaces.