Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem encountered while studying the book "Operator Algebras" by Bruce Blackadar. The definition of a pre-inner product is mentioned, which is similar to an inner product but does not require $x=0$ when $[x,x]=0$. The conversation then delves into a proof for the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner products, where the issue of proving $[y,y]=0$ implies $[x,y]=0$ is brought up. The expert summarizer provides a brief summary of the standard proof for this case and offers assistance for any further queries about the book.
mozganutyj
Dear all,

I've encountered some problems while looking through the book called "Operator Algebras" by Bruce Blackadar.
At the very beginning there is a definition of pre-inner product on the complex vector space: briefly, it's the same as the inner product, but the necessity of x=0 when [x,x]=0 holds is omitted.

The point is that this stuff is followed by the script that "Cauchy-Schwarz inequality" holds for pre-inner product and here is the place I'm stuck in:

I can't prove the trivial case: [y,y]=0 implies [x,y]=0 for every x (otherwise the CBS inequality won't hold as the right-hand side equals to zero in this case - therefore, the only chance for the CBS inequality to be satisfied is [x,y]=0).

I suspect that CBS holds when we've got the inner product, not only the pre-inner.

I'll appreciate every effort of assistance from your side!

Physics news on Phys.org
mozganutyj said:
Dear all,

I've encountered some problems while looking through the book called "Operator Algebras" by Bruce Blackadar.
At the very beginning there is a definition of pre-inner product on the complex vector space: briefly, it's the same as the inner product, but the necessity of x=0 when [x,x]=0 holds is omitted.

The point is that this stuff is followed by the script that "Cauchy-Schwarz inequality" holds for pre-inner product and here is the place I'm stuck in:

I can't prove the trivial case: [y,y]=0 implies [x,y]=0 for every x (otherwise the CBS inequality won't hold as the right-hand side equals to zero in this case - therefore, the only chance for the CBS inequality to be satisfied is [x,y]=0).

I suspect that CBS holds when we've got the inner product, not only the pre-inner.

I'll appreciate every effort of assistance from your side!
Hi mozganutyj and welcome to MHB!

The proof that $[y,y]=0$ implies $[x,y]=0$ is the same as the standard proof of the CBS inequality. If $[y,y] = 0$ then for every scalar $\lambda$ $$0\leqslant [\lambda y+x, \lambda y+x] = 2\text{re}\lambda[y,x] + [x,x].$$ By taking $\lambda = -t\overline{[y,x]}$ where $t$ is large and positive, you get a contradiction.

Don't hesitate to come back here if you have queries about Bruce Balackadar's book. As you can see from my user name, Operator algebras are my speciality.

Thanks, Opalg, for warm greetings!

Yes, the proof is pretty straightforward indeed - I've stumbled over the moment when I've decided to prove it in different way, than the standard technique. Maybe, Blackadar has trapped me (Smile) when he had considered the [y,y]=0 case as trivial, thus making me think of even more simplified machinery to prove it (Happy).

Once again - I'm grateful to you, dear Opalg, for your help.
God bless you ... and save the Queen for sure (Happy)

Opalg said:
Hi mozganutyj and welcome to MHB!

The proof that $[y,y]=0$ implies $[x,y]=0$ is the same as the standard proof of the CBS inequality. If $[y,y] = 0$ then for every scalar $\lambda$ $$0\leqslant [\lambda y+x, \lambda y+x] = 2\text{re}\lambda[y,x] + [x,x].$$ By taking $\lambda = -t\overline{[y,x]}$ where $t$ is large and positive, you get a contradiction.

Don't hesitate to come back here if you have queries about Bruce Balackadar's book. As you can see from my user name, Operator algebras are my speciality.

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product is a mathematical inequality that relates to the dot product or inner product of vectors in a vector space. It states that the absolute value of the dot product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their norms. In other words, it shows that the dot product of two vectors is bounded by the product of their lengths.

2. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to prove many other important theorems and inequalities, such as the triangle inequality and the Hölder's inequality. It also plays a crucial role in the study of geometry, functional analysis, and linear algebra.

3. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product different from the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product is a more general form of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. While the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality only applies to inner products, the pre-inner product version applies to a wider range of vector spaces, including vector spaces with non-Euclidean metrics. Additionally, the pre-inner product inequality can be used to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, but not vice versa.

4. Can the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product be extended to more than two vectors?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product can be extended to any finite number of vectors in a vector space. This is known as the generalized Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. It states that the absolute value of the inner product of any set of vectors is less than or equal to the product of their norms multiplied by the product of the norms of the other vectors in the set.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for pre-inner product, including the Bessel's inequality and the Minkowski's inequality. These generalizations provide different bounds for the inner product of vectors in a vector space and have various applications in mathematics and physics.