Cause and Effect of sounds Why?

• Thread starter lunaskye0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the length and thickness of a vibrating object, such as a string, can affect the pitch of sound produced. A longer and thicker string will produce a lower pitch, while a shorter and thinner string will produce a higher pitch. Additionally, the material of the object can also impact the pitch of sound produced. To better understand these effects, it is recommended to conduct sound experiments and explore the different factors that influence sound production.
lunaskye0
What causes sound to be effected by the thickness and length of its vibrating object?

Is it that the length that the sound travels along giving more rotational room? assuming it is like a string plucked?
Does sound have a standard "length" that is compressed or stretched dependent on the distance to which its receptor that ables the sound to be produce?
Im not sure if this is making sense- but I just need to understand WHY length and thickness EFFECT the pitch of sound occurred. I know that the thicker and longer the transmission medium, the lower the pitch.

Also- the effects of different materials?

I am curious if there is a way to test the production of sound in a contained space and if that makes sound that would normally be lower in an open environment more restricted, frequency waves pushed closer together causing it to be higher?

So my knowledge on sound is really limited, I'm just trying to get an understand of the causes for the effects of thickness, length, and mediums.

Any information would be helpful! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
lunaskye0, Instead of trying to answer your specific questions, I would like to encourage you to experiment with generating sounds yourself. When you do this you will learn about what shapes, thicknesses, materials, and so on, that make sounds.

If you go to Google search and enter "sound experiments" you get many different sites, some better than others for your learning. Here are a few:
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiments/029
http://www.monstersciences.com/sound-science-experiments.html
http://www.exploratorium.edu/music/exhibits/headlands/

More Google Searches related to sound experiments:

sound experiments for kids
sound science experiments
sound experiments for elementary students
sound waves experiments
sound experiments for middle school
easy sound experiments
sound travel experiments
sound energy experiments

After some experimentation if you have some questions or doubts, come back here to Physics Forums and ask away!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you a question. What effect does the thickness and length have on the vibration of the string? What's the difference between a long thick vibrating string and a short thin vibrating string?

Related to Cause and Effect of sounds Why?

1. What is the cause of sound?

Sound is caused by vibrations in the air. When an object vibrates, it creates waves of pressure that travel through the air, reaching our ears and allowing us to hear the sound.

2. How do different sounds have different effects on us?

The effect of a sound on us is determined by its frequency, intensity, and duration. Different frequencies create different pitches, while different intensities create different volumes. The duration of a sound can also affect its impact on us.

3. How does sound affect our emotions?

Sound can have a powerful effect on our emotions. For example, loud and sudden sounds can startle us, while soft and soothing sounds can calm us down. Certain sounds can also trigger specific emotional responses, such as the sound of a baby's cry evoking feelings of empathy.

4. Can sound cause physical effects?

Yes, sound can cause physical effects on our bodies. Exposure to loud noises over a prolonged period can lead to hearing loss. Certain frequencies can also cause discomfort or even pain. Additionally, low-frequency sounds can cause vibrations that can be felt in our bodies.

5. How does sound impact our daily lives?

Sound plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It helps us communicate with one another, navigate our environment, and enjoy music and entertainment. Our emotions and moods can also be influenced by the sounds around us, making sound a significant factor in our overall well-being.