Cautionary story: Death by GPS

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death Gps
In summary, while GPS can be helpful, be aware of the dangers of over reliance on it. Always have an emergency pack with plenty of water and know your surroundings.
Physics news on Phys.org
There was an Office episode where Michael drives into a lake because his GPS tells him to.

Before I travel somewhere, I check national, regional and/or local maps, and know about landmarks. Enroute and on location, I pay attention to the sun, weather and surroundings, and if the night sky is clear, the moon and stars.

Astronuc said:
Before I travel somewhere, I check national, regional and/or local maps, and know about landmarks. Enroute and on location, I pay attention to the sun, weather and surroundings, and if the night sky is clear, the moon and stars.
Always have an emergency pack with plenty of water too!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Always have an emergency pack with plenty of water too!
Certainly, if I go into the back country, which I'll be doing this weekend.

Likes 1oldman2
Sigh. While over dependence on GPS is a big problem, the term "death by GPS" just isn't accurate in at least the title story. The people who are the title story went against the directions of the GPS, more than once. GPS will not lead you away from danger against your will.

I'm also not very willing to accept driving to a city instead of an island with the same name as the fault of the GPS. And driving into a lake that GPS says is a road? It may be or may have been a road. GPS doesn't know and shouldn't be expected to know if that's a puddle or a road that ends in boat ramp, but the driver of the car really should figure it out! That particular one isn't a new problem: about a year ago, a car was found in a lake after going missing for some 40 years. Apparently, the driver (a kid) took a wrong turn at night, possibly drunk, and the road turned into a boat ramp and everyone in it drowned. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ssing-40-years-found-at-the-bottom-of-a-lake/

If I miss a turn in a housing subdivision with twisting winding streets, I don't wait for the GPS to plot a twisting winding course back to where I should be. I make a U turn and go back 1/2 a block.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is a "cautionary story" in regards to GPS?

A cautionary story is a cautionary tale or warning about the potential dangers or risks associated with relying too heavily on GPS technology for navigation. It serves as a reminder to use GPS as a helpful tool, rather than the sole source of direction.

2. How can GPS technology lead to death?

GPS technology can lead to death if users blindly follow its directions without using common sense or critical thinking skills. This can result in dangerous situations, such as driving into bodies of water or off cliffs, getting lost in remote areas without proper supplies, or encountering hazardous conditions while hiking or boating.

3. What are some examples of real-life incidents involving "death by GPS"?

There have been numerous incidents of "death by GPS" reported, including a family who got stranded in Death Valley National Park and died from heat exposure while following GPS directions, a man who drove off a boat ramp in the dark while relying on GPS, and several instances of people getting lost or injured while hiking in unfamiliar areas due to following GPS directions.

4. How can individuals prevent "death by GPS"?

To prevent "death by GPS," it is important to use GPS as a supplement to other navigation methods, such as maps, compasses, and common sense. It is also crucial to stay alert and aware of your surroundings, and to never blindly follow GPS directions without questioning their accuracy and feasibility.

5. Is GPS technology inherently dangerous?

No, GPS technology itself is not inherently dangerous. It is a useful tool for navigation, but it is not infallible. The danger lies in relying too heavily on GPS and not using other navigation methods and critical thinking skills. It is important to use GPS responsibly and in conjunction with other resources to ensure safety.