Celestial Mechanics: Solving Differential Equations for N-Body Systems

In summary: You can see that the acceleration is always in the direction of the vector cross product between the two vectors x, y, and z.
rizumu
I am getting stuck trying to solve a differential equation describing the gravitational relationship between two celestial bodies.

What I have so far is this:

a1 = G m2 (r2 - r1) / ||r2 - r1||^3

a2 = G m1 (r1 - r2) / ||r1 - r2||^3

where:
boldface denotes vectors in 3 dimensional Cartesian space
G for gravitational constant
m for mass
r for position
a for acceleration

I guess my question is where to go from here. I am assuming that the general solution will contain constants relating to initial position and initial velocity for both bodies. My goal is to arrive at a point where I can plot the trajectories of the two bodies using iterations. Essentially a system I can solve using numerical methods such as Euler's.

Anyway, any insight into how to solve this kind of problem would be great! Eventually I want to expand it to more than 2 bodies but I need to get comfortable with 2 first before taking the problem to N-bodies. This is for a numerical methods class, and possibly a final project/presentation.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations for the trajectories of the two bodies (not the equations of motion) can be solved exactly, without approximations. The key is to pass from the r1 r2 coordinates to the R r coordinates, where R are the coordinates of the center of mass of the system, and r are the relative coordinates of the two bodies:

R = (m1 r1 + m2 r2) / (m1 + m2)

r = r2 - r1

If you carry out the calculations, it turns out that R satisfies the equations for a free body of mass M = m1 + m2:

MR''=0

and r satisfies the equation of motion of a single body of reduced mass

m = m1 m2 / (m1 + m2)

in a gravitational central potential with center fixed at the origin:

r'' = -Gmr / |r|^3

So the whole problem is reduced to the one of a single body.

I think you are looking more for an iterative procedure that applies to more than two bodies. With more than two bodies, it can't be solved exactly. Given that you know the positions and velocities at time step n, and you have calculated the acceleration as above, you just time step forward to calculate the new positions and velocities. Then you calculate the new accelerations and iterate.

[tex]x_{n+1} = x_n +v_{xn}*\delta t; y_{n+1} = y_n +v_{yn}*\delta t; z_{n+1} = z_n +v_{zn}*\delta t; v_{x n+1} = v_{xn} +a_{xn}*\delta t; v_{y n+1} = v_{yn} +a_{yn}*\delta t; v_{z n+1} = v_{zn} +a_{zn}*\delta t [/tex]

1. What is celestial mechanics?

Celestial mechanics is a branch of astronomy that studies the motion and interactions of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, comets, and stars, using mathematical equations and principles.

2. What are the laws of celestial mechanics?

There are three main laws of celestial mechanics: Kepler's laws of planetary motion, Newton's laws of motion, and the law of universal gravitation. These laws describe the motion and behavior of celestial bodies in space.

3. How do celestial mechanics affect our daily lives?

Celestial mechanics has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it helps us understand and predict phenomena such as eclipses, tides, and seasons. It also plays a crucial role in space exploration and satellite technology.

4. What is the difference between celestial mechanics and astrodynamics?

Celestial mechanics focuses on the study of the motion and interactions of celestial bodies, while astrodynamics deals with the application of these principles to the design and navigation of spacecraft and satellites.

5. What are some current research topics in celestial mechanics?

Some current research topics in celestial mechanics include the study of exoplanet systems, the formation and evolution of planetary systems, and the effects of gravitational interactions on the orbits of celestial bodies.