Solving 1D First Order Equations for 3D Mass Positions and Velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses finding 12 one dimensional first order equations to describe the position and velocity of two masses in 3 dimensions. The second body's equations will be easier once the first body's equations are determined. The first equation can be rearranged and divided into two first order equations. The speaker is stuck on how to break these equations into x, y, and z components and solve them symbolically. A suggestion is made to change coordinates to center of mass and relative position for easier solving.
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
Use the given equations to obtain the first order differential equations for the system of two gravitating bodies. Write them down on paper in terms of the individual components of the motion.
Relevant Equations
m1 r'' = -G m1 m2 (r1 - r2)/|r1 - r2|^3
m2 r'' = -G m1 m2 (r2 1 r1)/|r2 - r1|^3
Okay so I need to find 12 one dimensional first order equations that describe the position and velocity of both masses in 3 dimensions. The equations for the second body will be easy once I figure out how to do the first body, so I'll ignore that for now. For the first equation, I can rearrange it to become:

r'' = -G m2 (r1 - r2)/|r1 - r2|^3

And I can break that down into two first order equations

a1' = a2
a2' = -G m2 (a1 - r2)/|a1 - r2|^3

I'm just stuck on how I now break those up into x y and z and then solve them symbolically to be able to write them down.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. You may find changing coordinates from ##r_1,r_2## to ##r_G,r## ,where ##r_G## is the coordinate of center of mass and ##\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{r_2-r_1}##, will be helpful.
[tex]\dot{x}_G=const.[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{\mathbf{r}}=-G(m_1+m_2)\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving 1D first order equations for 3D mass positions and velocities?

The purpose of solving these equations is to accurately determine the position and velocity of a mass in three-dimensional space. This is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where understanding the movement and behavior of objects is crucial.

2. How do you solve 1D first order equations for 3D mass positions and velocities?

To solve these equations, you would typically use mathematical techniques such as integration or differential equations. The specific method used may depend on the complexity of the equations and the available data.

3. What are some real-world applications of solving 1D first order equations for 3D mass positions and velocities?

This type of problem solving has many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a rocket or satellite, calculating the motion of particles in a fluid, or analyzing the behavior of a pendulum. It is also used in computer simulations and modeling of physical systems.

4. How does solving 1D first order equations for 3D mass positions and velocities relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion describe the relationship between an object's mass, its motion, and the forces acting upon it. Solving these equations helps us understand and apply these laws in a three-dimensional context, allowing us to accurately predict and analyze the movement of objects.

5. Can solving 1D first order equations for 3D mass positions and velocities be used for other types of systems besides point masses?

While these equations are commonly used for point masses, they can also be applied to other types of systems, such as rigid bodies or continuous media. However, the equations and methods used may be more complex and require additional considerations for these types of systems.