Celestial mechanics & Stanford

Some potential suggestions for researchers at Stanford who work on celestial mechanics include those in the particle physics department.
Zweig
Hi,

I'm interested in celestial mechanics and would like to do an internship about it in Stanford, kind of computational one. I visited many projects webpages on Stanford's website but I didn't find anything about researchs including celestial mechanic ... What keywords should I use on Google to refine my researchs ?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT : I posted in a bad forum, sorry ... Well, as I'm interested in particular to n-body problem, maybe someone could suggest me a person who works on it at Stanford (in particle physics for example).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some keywords you can use on Google to refine your research are "n-body problem," "celestial mechanics," "orbital mechanics," "astrodynamics," and "solar system dynamics." You can also search for specific topics related to celestial mechanics, such as "gravitational fields" and "gravitational waves." Additionally, you can look for research projects related to celestial mechanics at Stanford by searching for faculty members or laboratories that specialize in the field.

1. What is celestial mechanics?

Celestial mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the motion and interactions of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, using the principles of classical mechanics.

2. How is celestial mechanics related to Stanford?

Stanford University has a renowned astrophysics program, which includes courses and research opportunities in celestial mechanics. Many prominent scientists in the field have studied or taught at Stanford.

3. What are some important principles in celestial mechanics?

Some important principles in celestial mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, Kepler's laws of planetary motion, and the law of universal gravitation. These principles help explain the behavior and motion of celestial bodies.

4. How does celestial mechanics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Celestial mechanics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by providing insights into the formation, evolution, and behavior of celestial bodies. It also helps us predict and understand natural phenomena such as eclipses and planetary alignments.

5. What are some current research topics in celestial mechanics?

Current research in celestial mechanics includes studying the dynamics and evolution of celestial systems, such as binary star systems and planetary systems. Scientists also study the effects of gravitational interactions on celestial bodies and investigate the role of dark matter in the universe.