Cell is a Biochemical Computer: How Many Biologists Recognize It?

In summary: Molecular Computation and the Cell, in which he notes that biologists recognize the cell as a computer, but they "consider [the cell] to be way more complicated than a computer."
reasonmclucus
How many biologists recognize that the cell is a biochemical computer with molecular memory? I don't mean it is similar to a computer or analogous to a computer. The cell is one design that might be chosen by someone building a molecular level self replicating computer, particularly for robotic applications.

The cell receives inputs,such as a protein, processes the inputs according to instructions in its memory and then produces a protein output. Biologists often think of the cell's memory, its chromosomes, as consisting of four bases and ignore the special way in which they are arranged. Each two bit "byte" consists of one of two sets of bases and one of the two members of the set will be in the "0 bit" position. This arrangment allows one bit to effectively represent two bits worth of information, a strategy also contemplated for quantum computers.

Recognizing that the cell is a computer would help understand how the cell functions and the role of those sections of DNA sometimes referred to as "junk" DNA. For example, some of this DNA might function as a "data statement" -- an area of information used as values for various instructions.

Biology news on Phys.org
A cell is not only a computer but an intelligent machine. It's internal programming (a typical human cell only expresses a small portion of its full genome) allows it to carry out specific function that a computer can only "dream" about. Most biologist will not compare a cell do a computer because a cell is way more complicated.

This is funny, because I remember back in grade school when I first encountered the functions of the cell. I was like, WOW this is exactly like a computer! And then as I grew older, now in university, I don't think that anymore. If anything, the computer is IMO a crappy model of the cell.

I agree with the comments so far, that the cell is a much more advanced computer in its synergy of processes compared to an electronic computer. However, I do understand reasonmclucus question. In slightly different wording, do biologists recognize that biological processes may be used to perform computations? Yes I do.

A research group in Amsterdam is trying to build a silicon cell. You input all the chemical reactions, after which you can do simulations with it. Ofcourse it will be hard to capture the true nature of a living cell.

http://www.bio.vu.nl/hwconf/Silicon/

Last edited by a moderator:
first impression differences, temporarily

cell shape is more flexible, less rigid, can't be taken apart and put back together as easily, most require constant power to survive, sometimes need computers help to survive although computers need cells help to survive.
Interesting thoughts.

Gil of surrealcity.com

Related to Cell is a Biochemical Computer: How Many Biologists Recognize It?

1. What is a biochemical computer?

A biochemical computer is a theoretical concept that suggests cells operate similarly to a computer, using complex biochemical reactions to process and store information.

2. How does a cell function as a biochemical computer?

A cell uses enzymes and biochemical pathways to carry out various functions, such as metabolism and protein synthesis. These processes can be seen as input and output functions of a computer, while the cell's DNA and RNA act as the memory and processing units.

3. Are all biologists aware of the idea of a cell as a biochemical computer?

No, not all biologists are aware of this concept. It is a relatively new and debated field of study, and not all biologists may agree with the idea.

4. What evidence supports the idea of a cell as a biochemical computer?

There is evidence that cells use complex biochemical reactions to process information and carry out functions. For example, cells have been shown to use feedback systems and logic gates, similar to those found in computers, to regulate gene expression and respond to external stimuli.

5. How does the concept of a cell as a biochemical computer impact biology as a field?

The idea of a cell as a biochemical computer has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of how life functions. It opens up new avenues for research and could lead to advancements in fields such as medicine and biotechnology. However, it is still a controversial idea and further research is needed to fully understand its implications.