Center of gravity and stability of a system

In summary: R).In summary, the system will topple if the center of mass is located outside of the regions defined by the hemisphere or cone.
stellarator
Homework Statement
Determine the critical stability angle for a system of two shapes
Relevant Equations
centroid = (V1*y1+V2*y2)/(V1+V2)
Suppose I have an object consisting of a hemisphere of radius r and a cone of radius r and height h. The shapes are glued to each other on their faces and the object is set standing on its hemisphere side. Depending on the value of h, the center of gravity for the system will change.

I have calculated that for h values below r*sqrt(3), the centroid will be in the hemisphere region and for h values above r*sqrt(3), the centroid will be in the cone region. Now I am tasked with finding the critical angle for which the system will topple when pushed.

My reasoning is the following:
when h < r*sqrt(3), the object will never topple and always right itself when pushed.
when h > r*sqrt(3), the object will always topple.

There doesn't seem to be a critical angle for the object losing its balance. It just either topples or does not depending on the h value. Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I am sorry for the delay.

The potential energy of the system is an important parameter.
As the hemisphere is tilted from the vertical the restoring force increases as a function of angle.
As the cone moves away from vertical the overturning force increases.
1. You must balance those two forces to find the critical height of the cone.
2. Then compare the derivatives of the two forces to identify if a stable position might exist at some angle away from the vertical.

I suspect you have done the first, but not looked closely enough at the derivatives.

Yes, i think your reasoning is correct
An alternative to prove this is by considering the geometry of the system

Suppose that the system is tilted by angle of α, and let hcg as the vertical coordinate of the center of mass of the system when at rest.

This will shift the horizontal position of the contact point between the system and the ground by Rcos(α)
From this, we know that if hcgcos(α) < R cos(α), the torque produced by the weight of the system will produce negative angular acceleration. Hence, the system will never topple as long as coordinate of the center mass is in the region of the hemisphere (hcg < R)

Likes Baluncore

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object or system is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point around which an object will balance.

2. How is the center of gravity determined?

The center of gravity can be determined by finding the point at which the weight of an object or system is evenly distributed. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by physically balancing the object on a pivot point.

3. What factors affect the stability of a system?

The stability of a system is affected by the location of the center of gravity, the shape and size of the object, and the distribution of weight within the system. The lower the center of gravity and the wider the base of support, the more stable the system will be.

4. How does the center of gravity affect balance?

The position of the center of gravity affects balance because it determines the direction in which an object will tip or fall. If the center of gravity is located within the base of support, the object will be balanced. If it is outside of the base of support, the object will become unbalanced and may tip or fall.

5. Can the center of gravity be changed?

Yes, the center of gravity can be changed by altering the location or distribution of weight within the system. This can be done by adding or removing weight, changing the shape or size of the object, or changing the position of the object's support base.