Center of Gravity and Suspension of Object

In Summary, the center of gravity of an object is the point around which it balances. To install an object that is being lifted, you want to position the hook so that a line passes through the COG and hook at a 30 degree angle from vertical.
Shumon Hossain
Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand a center of gravity question regarding an object that is being lifted. I have a part that has a lifting circle that is used to put a hook through to hoist. The part needs to slide onto another part's surface that is about 30 degrees above the horizontal. For easier installation of the parts, I want to hoist it away from the center so that it is cocked to one side (about 30 degrees). I am having a hard time understanding how much to the right I need to place the lifting circle so that when it is lifted from a hoist directly above it, it is slanted at 30 degrees above the horizontal for easier installation. Please see the attached image for better understanding.
I was looking at tipping point of objects but I was not able to find all that I need.
Thank you in advance!

Shumon

Attachments

• Relocating Center of Gravity for Installation.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 436
Engineering news on Phys.org
Possibly some careful experiments are the way to go here. But do be very careful when lifting things that are oddly shaped. Be alert for shifting loads, sudden changes of balance, etc.

You want to position the hook so a line passes through the COG & hook 30deg from vertical.

Experiment, hang the frame from a loop of rope. Adjust it until it is at 30°. The point of suspension and the CofG will then be in the line of the rope.

Alternatively evaluate the double integral to find the CofG in two dimensions.
Draw a vertical line through the CofG when rotated by 30°.
Suspend it from a point above the CofG on that vertical line.

If you were to roughly estimate the location of the hoisting point, you could then then fine-tune it with a weight.

This method has several major advantages:
a] you don't have to get the hoisting point completely correct,
b] you can decide on the optimal angle after it's all constructed (when you're working with the real objects)
c] you can adapt the angle, in case the part changes, by simply changing the weight.

centre-of-gravity.png

The disadvantage, which you have not mentioned, is if/when the part needs to be removed regularly, for maintenance or what-have-you. In this case you'd need to re-weight it.

Last edited:
This sort of thing can be quite dynamic as the Lifting eye essentially rotates about the CoG. It is however a fairly standard issue that riggers have to deal with. The method used in assembling large machine parts is to use two lifting eyes that are well apart and symmetrical about the CoG. From a central lift ring one Pendant is dropped that is of a fixed length. The other pendant is adjustable while carrying weight ( this would be a chain fall, Come along, or even a ratchet strap depending on actual load).

You will also need to be aware that as you lengthen or shorten the adjustable leg the load will also shift laterally by small amounts This is due to the rotation of the support point about the CoG. In all stable states the CoG will be directly below the suspension point until acted upon with large force to be out of position. Also to be aware of is force vectors, as the angle between the two pendants increases the apparent load does as well. By the time you reach 120 0 both legs are carrying the full weight of the object.

It is a simple solution to trying to mate pieces and in large, heavy, or cumbersome items dealing with "about 30 degrees" is often not close enough. This is one way to compensate for actual alignment issues.

Last edited:
Likes DEvens

What is the center of gravity of an object?

The center of gravity of an object is the point at which the weight of the object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where an object will balance on a fulcrum or pivot point.

How do you calculate the center of gravity of an object?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the average location of the weight of an object. This can be done by dividing the total weight of the object by the total distance from each individual weight to a reference point.

What factors affect the center of gravity of an object?

The center of gravity of an object is affected by its shape, size, and distribution of weight. Objects with irregular shapes or uneven weight distribution will have a different center of gravity than objects with symmetrical shapes and even weight distribution.

What is suspension in relation to objects?

Suspension refers to the ability of an object to remain in a stable position when force or weight is applied to it. A suspended object is able to balance and maintain its position without tipping over or falling.

How does suspension relate to the center of gravity of an object?

The center of gravity plays a crucial role in the suspension of an object. A suspended object must have its center of gravity within its base of support in order to remain stable. If the center of gravity falls outside of the base of support, the object will tip over.