Center of mass and moment of intertia semi-circle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding moment of inertia and center of mass, as well as solving a Euler Lagrange problem. Various sources are recommended for further help and the conversation also includes some attempts at solving the problem.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

having some major derp problems. I can't seem to remember how to find moment of inertia about the COM of and object or even finding the COM for that matter.

I need it to solve a Euler Lagrange problem

Can someone give me an idea on the integrals to use and in what coordinate system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

looked at this site, but I'm not sure http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/circlehalf.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:

Don't find hyperphysics useful for mechanics, but i figured it out before hand. Thanks though.

I'm uncertain about my answer to the rest of my question though, and i hope i won't have to make another thread for it.

Q. Consider a uniform semicircular disk of radius R, which rolls without slipping on a horizontal surface. Recall that the kinetic energy of an object is the sum of the translational kinetic energy of the centre of mass (point C) and the rotational kinetic energy about the Centre of Mass.

Using Lagrangian methods, show that the angular frequency of small oscillations is

ω = sqrt([8g]/[R(9π -16)])

First thing i did was find it's moment, which is

I = .5mR2

Then i found the centroid

(x,y) = (0, 4R/3π)

Sorry i can't provide a picture, i suck at drawing >.<

So the potential of this motion will be mgh where i found h= (4R/3π)cos(ωt) because the y centroid will move up and down because it isn't at the top of the disk so the width is longer than it's height. (hope i worded that well)

So then the translational velocity I'm assuming will be (dh/dt) = (-ω4R/3π)sin(ωt)

My lagrangian i found to be

L = .5m(dh/dt)2 + .5Iω2 - mg(4R/3π)cos(ωt)

I assume that there is no R dependence so there is no need to do the dl/dR = (d/dt)(dL/dv)

I know there will be torque on the semi circle because it has to reverse motion, but when i try to derive the Lagrangian i have no ∅ to differentiate by so that means (dL/dω) = constant. Which isn't true.

Can someone see what i missed?

Io = Ic + mh^2 Io = .5mR2

where h is the distance from o which is at the middle of a circle (top of the semicircle)

so H = R-h for the potential = R(3π-4)/3π

L = .5mv2 + .5ω2[.5mR2 - m(R4/3π)2] -mgH

prof said to use the parallel axis theorem and h is actual the distance between COM and the origin

v= dH/dt ?

Hope you can follow this and hope its not too late to be of any use.

Edit, looks like I goofed on a minus sign on the potential twice so things still worked out?

Attachments

• semi066.jpg
    semi066.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 11,203
  • semi067.jpg
    semi067.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,456
Last edited:
Little to late but i did something similar except i used the fact r was 4r/3pi and i though for small angles cosx equals 1 and sinx equals x

1. What is the center of mass of a semi-circle?

The center of mass of a semi-circle is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. In a semi-circle, this point is located at the exact center, where the diameter intersects with the curved edge.

2. How is the center of mass of a semi-circle calculated?

The center of mass of a semi-circle can be calculated by finding the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of all the points on the semi-circle's edge. This can also be calculated using the formula x̄ = 4r / 3π and ȳ = 4r / 3π, where r is the radius of the semi-circle.

3. What is moment of inertia in relation to a semi-circle?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the case of a semi-circle, moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate the object around its center of mass. It is affected by the distribution of mass around the center of mass.

4. How is moment of inertia of a semi-circle calculated?

The moment of inertia of a semi-circle can be calculated using the formula I = mr²/4, where m is the mass of the semi-circle and r is the radius. This formula assumes that the semi-circle has a uniform density.

5. How does the shape of a semi-circle affect its center of mass and moment of inertia?

The shape of a semi-circle does not affect the location of its center of mass, as it will always be at the center of the semi-circle. However, the distribution of mass around the center of mass will affect the moment of inertia. A semi-circle with a higher density towards the edges will have a higher moment of inertia compared to one with a uniform density.